Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: post-python films
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:22 pm 
Major Looney

Hey guys! just watched The Brothers Grimm the other day! not sure what to make of it - I thought the sets etc were amazing and i was quite impressed (and surprised) with how good heath ledger and 'Matt Damon's' *in team america voice* accents were! something about the plot just didn't do it for me - it seemed to waffle on quite a bit and jump around... other than that i thought it was pretty good! Didn't know it was directed by Gilliam until i saw the back of the box! not at all what i expected! i did think that you could see the way his mind works by the way he directed it - its all stuck together a bit haphazardly - like the trains of consciousness he had in his Python cartoons.... Apparently 12 monkeys is much the same, although i've not seen it personally. what did you guys think?

Just watching Labyrinth as i type this - I love Jim Henderson!!!! he is great!! i vaguely remember watching this when i was about 6 or 7 and loving it - didn't know my fave python did the screenplay though! bonus!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:55 pm 
who did the screenplay for the labyrinth? i LOVE that film. its amazing. i had no idea. please enlighten me....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:02 pm 
Looney Elite

hmmm, her favorite python. i wonder who that could be....

12 Monkeys is a bit haphazard as well. it messes with your head a bit. but it's worth watching, even just for Brad Pitt's character.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:37 am 
Amazing Looney

http://www.angelfire.com/la2/withinyourheart/monty.html

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:35 am 
Quote:
Dennis:
hmmm, her favorite python. i wonder who that could be....

sorry, i wasn't very with it at that time. I LOVE that film, and had no idea that terry jones wrote the screenplay. its awesome. but then again i had never heard of python when i first watched the film. so it can't be helped.

i really like brazil. as one of terry gilliams post python movies. as my art teacher said 'it works on many different levels' and he was right!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:18 am 
Major Looney

ooh thanks for the link gambol! Thats realy interesting! i was womdering how much of his ideas the actually used!

I really want to see Brazil! what does your art teacher mean by 'works on different levels'? or is it one of those things where i have to have seen it to get what he/she means? i hate to say it, but i'm warming up to gilliam now - gone from icy to beginning to thaw out a bit....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:30 am 
i think you probably have to see it to know what i mean. and probably more than once. but it can be quite dark in places, sinister, y'know. and steady on with the thawing out....! its like scrat and his acorn. before you know it the acorn will have floated off before you have thawed out. or in this case it will be gilliam. hmm that was a crap analogy, and now i will shut up. :(

Post subject: Re: post-python films
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:05 pm 
Average Looney

polo_tottie wrote:
'Matt Damon's' *in team america voice*

Loool! I love that movie!
Anyway I do not like Matt Damon! :P . Even after the viewing of this movie!

Quote:
something about the plot just didn't do it for me - it seemed to waffle on quite a bit and jump around... other than that i thought it was pretty good! Didn't know it was directed by Gilliam until i saw the back of the box! not at all what i expected! i did think that you could see the way his mind works by the way he directed it

Mhhh I disagree. I agree with you about the plot. It isn't convincing and sometimes it's not clear at all. I think there are too many fairy tales mixed together and it confuses the viewer (well, I got confused :P).
Anyway I must say that I noticed the ..uh... "touch" of Gilliam through the colours and the surreal sequences (above all in the forest, but not only).
Maybe it's because I saw almost every Gilliam movie in the post-Pythons period (i mean Brazil,Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas etcetc), so I have the tipical elements of Gilliam's direction clear in my mind.
I didn't like this movie sooo much, but it was good to watch it. And I really admire Gilliam as a director, in fact he is one of my favourite!
:wink:

When judging it, don't forget that this was a "commercial" movie that Gilliam had to made in order to have the economic possibility to make other movies.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:13 pm 
Admin Overlord

Ray Ray wrote:
who did the screenplay for the labyrinth? i LOVE that film. its amazing. i had no idea. please enlighten me....

The credits list Terry Jones, Dennis Lee and Jim Henson as writers.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:17 pm 
well then no wonder its such a good film

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm 
Looney Elite

the only bad part of it is David Bowie in tights...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:45 pm 
Senior Looney

Quote:
the only bad part of it is David Bowie in tights...
does he have that big Tina Turner wig in it as well??? I saw it ages ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films