Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post subject: Was the end of The Meaning of Life changed?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:51 pm 
Starting Loony

So the first time I watched the Meaning of Life, it was on the original analog projector at a cinema. I have this memory of the French Waiter running away from the restaurant, up a field of grass. He looks back and shouts "At least I'm not a f--ing Jew" to the camera.

I'm pretty certain this happened, because I was with a group of Jewish friends that night and I remember they were pretty offended.

But every time I saw the movie since this, that scene was not there.

Did this exist in the original movie? Am I just crazy?...

John

Post subject: Re: Was the end of The Meaning of Life changed?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm 
Admin Overlord

I think the bit you're thinking of is a section of the film (Part Six B: The Meaning of Life) which has a bit which is set in the aftermath of Mr Creosote's visit to the restaurant, where the restaurant staff are cleaning up Creosote's vomit and exploded body parts, and at the same time are musing on the meaning of life.

The cleaning lady (played by Terry J) says that she's searched in a lot of places for the meaning of life, including the Académie Française, the Prado in Madrid, and the Bodleian Library in Oxford. She finishes off with "Cause, you see, I feel that life's a game. You sometimes win or lose, And though I may be down right now, at least I don't work for Jews" - at which point the Maitre D (played by John C) dumps a bucket of vomit over her head and apologises for employing a racist.

Eric Idle's French waiter then asks the camera to follow him, then leads it across roads and fields to a house where he explains that that is were he was born, and where his mother said to him "Gaston, my son, the world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and... love everyone, try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go" - so that is why he became a waiter. When he works out that that might be considered a weak philosophy, that is where he tells the audience to "f--- off".

I suspect that you've mis remembered the two bits as one entire sequence, rather the 2 separate parts (a racist cleaning woman getting her just deserts, then EI's Fench waiter explaining his view of the meaning of life). As such any subsequent times you've seen it, it's been different from your first impression.

Hope this helps.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films