Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post subject: Flying Circus better then the films
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:14 am 
Starting Loony

Now i know that the serices is very different to the films, but i hate it when people say they like the films but not flying circus[:(!]

Without that u couldnt have the films and is their anything better then

Bank robber (lingerie shop)
New cooker sketch
"Blackmail"
The Lumberjack Song
The Cheese Shoppe

do i need 2 go on

ps my god this sites owns

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:16 pm 
Amazing Looney

I love the series. I wish I could get the series on DVD, but that would be SO expensive, especially over the internet. I always liked the "penguin on top of the television set" sketch and the Bruces sketch. When my dad and I saw Eric Idle in London Ontario a couple of years ago, my dad and I were singing the Philosopher's Song word by word. It was great!

~*~ I like pink and blue daisy berry flowers. ~*~

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:00 am 
Starting Loony

wow i bet that was great, Eric Idle i would be singing along as well

i want it all on dvd as well but i need to save up first [^]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:45 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
Save people, save!! Don't buy anything else and then get your hot little hands on a set of the Python TV series dvd, because it's bloody brilliant! Worth every penny.

You can watch it a hundred times and still it will crack you up (not that the movies don't do that, but the TV series is what started the whole phenomenon) - you won't regret it. I was unsure at first about paying that much, but my Python conscience took over and I had to do it - and I'm glad I did!

Long live Pythonmania :o)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 pm 
Just Plain Amazing

Everything python or python related is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"People are not wearing enough hats!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am 
Senior Looney

I do agree. ANYTHING Python is BLEEDIN' BRILLIANT! However, I find the Circus funnier than anything else. If you could either see Holy Grail or one flying circus episode, take Holy Grail. If you could see Holy Grail or THREE flying circus episodes, take the circus.

You're no fun anymore.[8][8][8]hahaha. i like these smilees.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:06 pm 
Senior Looney

The films are great, but the Flying Circus is a unique achievement in T.V. There are moments in the T.V. show where you just marvel at how they got away with it. It's the prime example of what made the BBC the great institution it was during the '60s, '70s and '80s.

The difference between the films and the T.V. show is that, put together, the films come to about 7 or 8 hours and the T.V. show to over 20 hours. Also, they had more time to hone and polish the film scripts. Thus, the T.V. show is inevitably patchier than the films. But taken as a whole it's the more important achievement.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:48 pm 
Senior Looney

Brilliantly said.

You're no fun anymore.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:51 am 
Senior Looney

sometimes i just roar in great despair when i think about what i missed, being born in the end of the 80's
arggggggghhhhhh [V]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:08 am 
Senior Looney

I feel the same about being born at the end of the '70s - just in time for the beginnings of MTV, the invention of the 'high concept' movie, and the death of political idealism. Child of Thatcher indeed!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:17 pm 
Starting Loony

I too agree with the asesment that the T.V. series was ground breaking
In many respects. The third "British Invasion" as it were, for American T.V..
I was amazed to see nudity on American T.V. as a 12 year old in 1975. It took me awhile to truly assimilate what was going on. I am here to say, however, that one can enjoy both the series and movie collection on two levels which were basically mentioned already.

Enjoy the series for it's rough edged, raw energy. The shoe string budget, the stream of consiousnes pacing, the amazing abundance of classic material. I know I have made the analogy too many times but I believe it still works here. Enjoy the series as you might enjoy the Beatles' early, raw, high energy material. Enjoy the Python movies as you may enjoy the Beatls' later, more polished material ie; "Abbey Road", "The White Album", or "Let it Be". I always equate "The Meaning of Life" with the Let it be album. Two groups of people who made history thru their ground breaking material, now pretty much sick of one another, hanging in to produce one last Hurrah. Editing and input from other sources worked to patch together both group's patchwork efforts into swan songs of differing merit. "Let it Be" is kind of a sad end to a great run, but most consider Abbey road to be the Beatles last actual coherent effort so I may adjust my analogy and say Abbey Road most mirrors "The Meaning of Life".

I haven't had the chance to watch the series in many years and also cannot afford to purchase them all in one shot, besides, I thought I heard of edits or some other kind of problem with the DVD release. Am I correct, or have the flaws been fixed if, indeed, they ever existed?

...T.V. series or the Films?...way too hard to call. Depends on the mood. I agree with the cumulative film to series ratio in terms of sheer hours of T.V. material. But does one give points to the more polished aspect of the films? Sometimes simply having more of something doesn't make it superior to something else with less time and more polish. I am just asking since I am really "on the fence" with this and the best song thread. It is just too hard to call.

Run Away!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:02 pm 
Starting Loony

I agree

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films