Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post subject: Query about Holy Grail Collector's Edition "Senitype&qu
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:42 am 
Starting Loony

Hi, I got The Holy Grail Collector's Edition DVD for Christmas and there's something that puzzles me. It contains a "Senitype" but the wording of what it actually is is fairly vague. The back cover blurb says "a uniqe 35 mm movie still taken from the original film print" The blurb on the Senitype itself say "limited edition art graphic reproduced by master film technicians from an actual 35 mm frame of the original motion picture negative"

Well there's certainly a colour movie frame in the middle of the card, but is that a genuinely unique frame from the original film? I'm tempted to think so but the back cover of the DVD shows the Senitype and it's exactly what I have. Either they printed a seperate back cover for each Collector's Edition, or...oh I'm confused. If anyone can clarify what the Senitype actually is , I'd be grateful!

Last edited by Brian Dixon on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:17 am 
Admin Overlord

From what I can work out, a senitype is basically just a colour picture of a still in the movie - kind of what you get when you pause a movie.

The film is separate - they use the same still to make a 35mm acetate frame.

Because the frame is made individually and isn't cut from a film print like the kind they show in a cinema, they can produce loads of them with a corresponding colour picure of whats on it.

Hope this clarifies things a little bit.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:02 am 
Starting Loony

I tried surfing a bit about Senitypes and it's incredibly difficult to actually find anything that fully explains what it is! But I did find this snippet , about Cinderalla of all movies;

"The next goodie inside this package is the Cinderella Senitype (that is, a film frame reproduction), which is enclosed in its own (removable) plastic wrapping. The cel is surrounded by a piece of cardboard which shows the Special Edition logo and the glass slipper, looking very classy as on the main box. The frame itself depicts a shot from Cinderella's dress transformation (a favorite scene for many fans of the film, including reportedly Walt Disney). Each person may receive a different still from the scene, however, I got one right as she is looking down in awe, with the fairy dust just disappearing (No. 139713). The back of the cardboard is white and describes the scanning and reproduction process used to create the Senitype."

Full link at http://www.ultimatedisney.com/cinderella-giftset.html

The Holy Grail Senitype I have is of the six Python members looking up towards the camera, whcih I presume to be the God scene, or possibly the Rude Frenchman scene. Assuming that film is shot at (I think) 25 frames pers second then you can figure out that a 4 second scene will produce (duh) 100 film "cels" (shouldn't that be "cells"?), all looking somewhat similar.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:14 pm 
Admin Overlord

True about the 100 frames BUT they would also have to cut up perfectly good movie prints to get them.

As a rule, the film cells are specially produced, rather than cut from a print.

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films