Don Quixote rides again, says delighted Gilliam
By Alica-Azania Jarvis
Monday, 4 August 2008
Ever since Johnny Depp and Terry Gilliam were forced to abandon filming on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, eight years ago, fans have speculated about the project's recovery.
Last week they were given hope when rumours of a revival surfaced.
Now Gilliam tells me the resurrection could be closer than we think.
"As far as we're concerned, it's on," he confirms. "When Johnny's ready, we're ready. We're just talking about dates to film. Basically it all depends on his schedule but otherwise we're set. It will be next year some time, before next summer anyway."
Filming first began way back in 2000 but was blighted by an eerie sequence of accidents. Military fly-overs drowned out the dialogue, flash floods washed away the set, and then one of the film's stars, the French actor Jean Rochefort, was taken ill, having to be airlifted to hospital after suffering a hernia. Insurers decided to pull the plug, making it one of the most costly – not to say notorious – cinematic projects of all time.
In spite of a recent legal decision to award Gilliam rights to the script, he has decided to start the project afresh.
"We're going to completely reshoot it," he says. "The intervening years have taught me that I can actually write a much better film. I'm so excited it's going to get done at last."
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".