Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current

Post subject: 2009 - 40th Anniversary
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:05 pm 
Senior Looney

Hi there. New on this board, first thing to do is posting this message. Although it's still far away, in 2009 Python exists for 40 years. Do you think they will do something, and what do you think they'll do? I've posted this on IMDB and on a Eric Idle fan site, but don't think I'll stop with this ;) There's much more to talk about.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:58 pm 
Looney Elite

welcome to the forum.

honestly, i don't know if they would do anything, but i hope they'd have some sort of reunion for the event. providing, of course, that they're all still around.

what would be nice IMHO would be a televised event, with all 5 of them together, esp. if they had some new material.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:02 pm 
Senior Looney

Would be very nice indeed. Although a movie could be also very nice. The problem with this is, according to themselves, that they just can't write the thing because they are so far away from eachother. My idea was that someone else could write it. Maybe this is a stupid idea, but can't we try to write it and send it to them?

And thanks for welcoming me. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 pm 
Looney Elite

stupid, no, challenging, yes. got any ideas?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:15 pm 
Senior Looney

Well, as they were mostly going for historic themes, I think that could be decent, but I can't think of any. Or, as Gilliam once said, Monty Python's World War III. But if anyone has an idea, give it and then we will all decide which one it will be.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 am 
Major Looney

I'm writing a story for mythology at the moment which is a life of brian-esque piss-take of Homer's The Odyssey..... minus the space ship....

would be fun to do something and send it off, but I doubt they'd want to do something someone else has written - especially Jonesy - He mainly likes doing stuff he's written himself. Also, It wouldn't be true Python if we wrote it - it would be like Rolf Harris' painting of the girl with the pearl earring... good, but just not the real thing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:18 am 
i really hope they're all still around then. *gulp*
they'll probably do a televised thing like they have done for all the other anniversaries.

but who do you reckon would be the least likely to join in. my money's on either cleese, gilliam or eric. as michael and terry always seem up for a laugh

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:13 pm 
Major Looney

hmmmm.... I don't know....
The bottom fell out of their last reunion thing because mike backed out - he said *i think* something along the lines of: people don't want to see a bunch of sad old men doing the same old jokes
so i dunno if he'd be up for doing somethin new or not

like i said about jonesy - he likes doing his own stuff, but he seems to always be up for a laugh

Gilliam..... i don't know... unless whatever we (or anyone else) suggested involved cartoons, he'd be hanging around a bit like a spare arm.... he's more into directing at the moment, so he and jonesy would probably be pulling eachother's hair out over how to film things unless there was an independent director.... in which case they'd tear his hair out first and then start on eachother... but i dunno - I don't know much about Gilliam - he may be up for it

Cleesey and Eric live too far away! cleesey seems to be up for a laugh - like appearing in the wind in the willows and erik the viking... dunno about eric.. much as I love him, he hasn't really done a great deal with the others since python... excluding the wind in the willows of course! (i love ratty!)

so in summation: i have no bleedin' idea! lol

Last edited by polo_tottie on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:14 pm 
Senior Looney

Well, I think Graham wouldn't be the first one to join....Just joking (yes, I know, not funny) But seriously, I think Cleese wouldn't really do it straight away. But I have the feeling that they need to be together for a show like Live at Aspen to have that feeling 'let's do something again'. Because in 1998, with Live at Aspen, they had that feeling.

@ Polo-tottie, yes, it wouldn't be the same but don't you agree that having a script, for starters, would be better than no script at all? I think they could rewrite things, don't you agree? I still believe that it is possible, but we would have to write something very good.

Last edited by Yannick_Joker on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:16 pm 
Major Looney

he he! no pressure! lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:19 pm 
Senior Looney

Yes, I meant 'would have' but wrote 'have'. Or isn't that what you meant at all? :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:24 pm 
Major Looney

eh? *looking confused*

i agree with u - when i said 'no pressure' i meant about writing something good! its not easy ... being green *sorry - i had to write that or i would have imploded*... yeah - it's not easy writing something funny - let alone an entire script! also what we find funny, they might not -even though..... aah forget it i'm confusing myself now. now THAT takes skill!

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current