Post subject: The Bishop
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:39 pm 
Starting Loony

I want to make clear which Bishop I'm talking about:

Series 2, Episode 17

"Bishop: OK, Devious, don't move!

Devious: The bishop!

('The Bishop' titles again.)"

I try to make a little gaming miniature of this hero, whose claim to fame was too short. Unfortunately I cannot finf a good picture or description (COLOURS!!!) of his costume. Could anybody help me to that?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:27 pm 
Average Looney

Hey Theodoor, you're a man after my own heart. I actually considered calling myself Devious in here, but I thought the reference was too obscure, and The Bishop was already taken. The costume is too impossibly ornate to describe, but it is predominantly olive green, yellow, and white with crosses and designs everywhere. I tried to capture a few stills off my DVD for you, but it was impossible.( Copyright protection at work, I guess, I'm not computer savvy enough to defeat it.) I don't think you can attach pics in here anyway. Sorry.

I find it rather curious though, that you know the series and episode as well as the exact dialogue but don't know the visuals. What's up with that?

Salad as in lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:20 am 
Starting Loony

Oh, quite simple, I had seen the Bishop in one of the MP reruns on TV, and was quite charmed by this character, long ago. After the making of my first Bishop, St. Nicholas of Myra, known for his boxing talents, miraculous prevention of pogroms, while at the same time scoring high with the conversion of Jews to Christianity, the saving of sailors, whores, tradesmen and other thieves, his affection for children, and his industrious work to keep greed out of Christmas in the Netherlands, in association with him being the patron saints of cities of damnation such as Moscow and Amsterdam, I decided that the Bishop (MP)was to be the second bishop. I had the colours, the stuff and all, but no reference material.

Therefore I searched the internet for reference material, found the complete description of that sketch, but alas without any illustration providing illumination on his looks.

As you say, his costume is too impossibly ornate to describe, and as such too complicated to remember in detail, so I decided to make him in those colours, with gold rather than yellow, with a bit of guesswork. He's finished now and looks quite convincing, he's a small miniature after all, but with a little episcopal purple, not too noticable.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:26 pm 
Junior Looney

if you really want to enjoy the sketches, particularly the obscure ones like that one, you should buy the 14 DVD set of the pythons it really worth it. I could spend years watching it over and over again,
glad to hear that your miniature came out ok, i paint warhammer and i now how frusturating it can be to paint a really cool minature and not be satisfied with it, on the other hand it is really impressive to see a well painted figure come out of your own work.

AMoung My Pets are such diverse animals such as.
Eric the Half-a-bee
Eric the Halibut
Eric the dog
Eric the cat
Eric the Fruit bat

and there is no rule six.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series