Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject: USA 14 DVD boxset...playable in the UK? READ THIS!
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:26 am 
Starting Loony

Hi There fellow eccentrics

can ANYONE out there please confirm or deny the rumour that the big 14 dvd boxset of the flying circus tv show is in fact REGION 0 (region free) and NOT as reported everywhere else (and probably on the packaging) REGION 1....here in BRITAIN (anyone for a scone, more tea?) we were denied the release of this marvellous set due to some stupid copyright clash and have to make do with crappy BEST OF DVDS but some folk have said theyve bought the supposedly REGION 1 set and it works fine here in the UK, even on DVD players which arnt multi region.

Would love to here from anyone on this issue, especially any BRITS who have bought it and can positively confirm the rumour (oh please let it be true)

ANYWAY all the best to all fellow PYTHON fanatics around the globe, health and happiness to you all especially the Americans, comrades in arms (Am I getting too political???)

Toodle pips (as we say here in blighty)

Paul[?]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:36 pm 
Senior Looney

can't say, The box set says region 1, and since I live in America, I can't really test it for you... sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquistion"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:31 am 
Starting Loony

eh...thanks...I think.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:21 am 
Starting Loony

I've been told that computer dvd players are multi-regional but I don't know for sure. Hope that helps a little. Sorry, comrade.

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:25 pm 
Starting Loony

Hello there I'm new here.[:)]

I live in the UK and bought the dvd set for my multiregion dvd player. Then when I moved house I tried it on my new dvd player that isnt multiregion and it works. So as long as the dvd player and tv are able to convert an NTSC signal it should work. Most new tv's can do this so I wouldnt worry. Even if it doesnt you can still watch them in black and white.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:31 pm 
Senior Looney

yes, I've heard that most, if not all, DVD-Rom drives are multi-regional.

~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquistion"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:41 am 
Starting Loony

Well, Ive bought one via Amazon and will wait and see. I chatted via email to a guy here in the UK who sells the set here via EBAY and he reckons hes sold loads and hasnt yet had one complaint they dont work here. Apparently, according to him, they are promoted as region 1 (USA/CANADA) but in actuallity they are region 0 (playable anywhere as long as tv/dvd player support ntsc, most do). He even describes them as Region 2 when he sells them to avoid confusion to those folk who dont know what region 0 is. Will post a futher comment when I receive it...to confirm either way, there are LOTS of folk out there ready to buy it if its fully playable here in the UK.
Thanks everyone for your help, most welcome.

Paul Gray

IM BRIAN AND SO IS MY WIFE![:)]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:21 am 
Starting Loony

Ok folks, received my MONTY PYTHON FLYING CIRCUS boxset this morning...here are the results!

NOWHERE on the disks/packaging is there a mention of REGION 1 and on investigation it is REGION 0 (HURRAH!!!!!!!!). It plays fine on my region 2 PC dvd drives but on my SONY dvd player connected to the tv it works the same way all region 0 NTSC (USAs equivalent to our PAL colour system) do on my player, which means its all jumpy unless I play another dvd first for about an hour an then use the NTSC disk, then its fine except its in black and white.This really only applys to a very small proportion of DVD players though and on the vast majority of them the set (as all region 0, ntsc discs) will play perfectly and in colour(tried it on my mams, no problems, cant recall ever coming across a dvd player thats not NTSC compatible), I definitely recommend buying it as the sets superb and as I say will play on the vast majority of players ESPECIALLY the ones on your PC, buy buy buy as their are no immediate plans to release it here in the uk due to copyright complications, this forum may even start a mad rush for them! I bought mine from a company via AMAZON though plenty stock it (usually shipped from USA/CANADA), check on EBAY as well.

All the best

Paul Gray

Im off for my SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM now

Hope this has proved usefull, post a reply if so fellow python fans.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:58 pm 
Starting Loony

I bought a Benny Hill - The naughty early years dvd set from the usa as well via amazon, its by the same company and also is region 0!!!!!!! its a great set featuring his complete series 1/2 for thames tv. The set will probably never be officially released here in the UK. They also do 2 other python sets, 2 dvds each, monty python live and life of python...getting them next.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:52 pm 
Starting Loony

Hi folks!

It is just chicane! They are trying to fool us.
I am a lonely Monty Python addict based in Germany - with quite some language skills in Oxford and Cockney English - otherwise I would not dare this.
I took the risk of ordering the MP FC Megaset from Amazon.com which is said to be Region 1 DVD standard only.
This is not true! I threw the DVD discs into my profane Region 2 player and everything worked fine from the beginning. There seems to be an unfair conspiration between a number of salers including Amazon and A&E who have launched the set.

sl

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:17 pm 
Starting Loony

Well, that's good news, because I'm soon getting that boxed set soon. But it doesn't really matter, as I am located in the US, and thusly I am Region 1.

I'm so dedicated to this comedy team, I'm considering getting a pet python and naming it Monty. How big of a fan are YOU??

Proud to have Episode 3 of Series 1 featuring me.*

*not

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:28 am 
Starting Loony

Yes, it is playable in the UK. I got the boxset on Monday, and it works on both my dvd players, and to be quite honest, they actually work better on my region 2 dvd player than my multiregion dvd player.

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased
to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft
of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be
pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off
the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run
down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series