Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject: Trigger happy tv ~ New pythons?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:21 pm 
Starting Loony

Okay I was just watching Tv, and I can across a show called "Trigger happy tv" It's british, and has a name you have know idea what it means...... It has more live stuff than the pythons, ans thier show isn't on any more, enless you buy it. But it's random werid stuff, alot of coustumes. It could be a good substitute for the pythons, I think it's funny, but whatever.

whatever....MP RULES!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:41 pm 
Senior Looney

NOT FAIR!!! I wanted to create a show like Python!!! <i>DAMN!!!</i>

Oh, well.

Those people are no fun, anymore!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:01 pm 
Senior Looney

I can see your point, in that it's about doing absurd things in everyday settings - in this case, real settings, amongst real people. I think there's probably a link to Python - in a way the show is like the illegitimate offspring of Pythonesque humour and all those fool-the-public, hidden-camera shows (Game for a Laugh or Beadle's About or their American equivalents). To be honest, I never really liked the show because I always find those kinds of pranks rather aggressive and unpleasant. It's also much more repetitive than Python ever was. But I understand what you mean.
Interestingly, as chance would have it, one of the stooges for those fake interviews that Trigger Happy TV does was none other than Terry Gilliam - which kind of brings everything full circle.
I still think the most obvious heir to Python that I know of is Chris Morris. I'm not sure if he's very well known in America, but he's downright notorious in Britain.

I think if you want to create a Pythonesque show, there's always room to do so. After all you could argue that Python created less a style of humour than a set of principles - constant inventiveness, the rejection of all conventions concerning taste, format etc, and the mixing together of different kinds of ideas, different styles of comedy etc. I think there's always room for that kind of attitude, especially in a world where entertainment has become so formula-driven and boring - in a way a bit of Pythonesque anarchy is even more necessary now than it was 35 years ago, when there was a lot more experimentation and 'craziness' around. Also, boundaries of taste and acceptability are always changing, so what was shocking in the past might be less so now. For instance, I think Python must have been pretty shocking for showing a naked woman or amputated limbs, whereas today you'd have to do something different in order to shock people.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:50 am 
Senior Looney

I learned some AMAZING things about Gilliam the other day. Firstly, J.K. Rolling had him as FIRST CHOICE to direct the Harry Potter series. He accepted, but the so-called Warner Brothers wanted a more family friendly film. (You know how those Pythons are...) Also, he was given the oppurtunity to direct Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Enemy Mine and Forrest Gump, but turned it down (as you can see, he's one heck of a directer) and finally, during his hit Brazil, he lost the use of his legs because of stress! This kind of stuff makes good trivia!

You're no fun anymore!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:51 am 
Senior Looney

Guess what? With this post, I'm officially a major looney!!![}:)]

You're no fun anymore!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:26 am 
Admin Overlord

Nah - Trigger Happy TV is way more Pythonesque than Chris Morris. Chris Morris goes for very black satire - Dom Jolly just goes for surreal (a person being kidnapped by giant squirrels for example).

CF

----------------------
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.geocities.com/fang_club

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:35 am 
Senior Looney

I used to do my own trigger happy tv show, but it was a feature movie called outburst!

"Always go to other peoples funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:46 pm 
Senior Looney

Morris's stuff is much darker than Python, to be sure, but I'd say he's more in the Python spirit than Dom Joly because he always pushes a bizarre idea to its logical (or illogical) end-point, because he has mastered the language of the people he's parodying, because he plays about with formats (Jam had no commercial break, etc) and because he tries never to repeat an idea.
Trigger Happy TV just tends to repeat the same ideas over and over in an unchanging format, and its form of surrealism is of a rather obvious kind - in my opinion, anyway!
Some of the sketches in Morris' Jam/Blue Jam, like a TV repairman coming to inspect a TV set full of lizards or baby-fighting contests, are genuinely strange and disconcerting - much as Python would probably have seemed when it was first shown.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:18 pm 
Average Looney

Trigger happy tv as good as python?- Do me a favour, its not on the same planet. Ok, a guy shouting into a big mobile that hes on the mobile was funny-the first three times I saw it, now it just grates as Dom Jolly pulls the same joke out of the hat for the 43rd time time and thinks its still funny.
As good as python-NO WAY!. You'll be saying Neighbours is good tv next.......[:0]

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT++The penguin on top of your TV will now explode.++

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:06 am 
Senior Looney

I agree with that - a crucial part of Python's appeal is that they never consciously repeated the same joke or situation. They may have used some recurring characters, like the Pepperpots or Gumbies, but those are more like motifs than self-contained routines - the substance of a sketch is always original.
In the context of a lot of recent British comedy that thinks it's very 'daring' and 'fresh' but actually just repeats the same jokes, situations and formulas over and over ad infinitum (The Fast Show, Little Britain, Trigger Happy TV, The Catherine Tate Show, the appalling Bo Selecta), Python still looks very rich and surprising.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:45 am 
Admin Overlord

One contribution Trigger Happy TV has made is that its got rid of that annoying Nokia ringtone eveyone used to have. Now you can't have that go off anywhere in public without someone shouting "hello... nah I'm on the train.." etc.

I have to concur - nothing that has cropped up in the last few years is anywhere near as good as MP, but in many of them you can see where Python has influenced them - The Fast Show and Trigger Happy in particular (not surprising as Paul Whitehouse and Dom Joly both confess to being Python fans). Rory Bremner and Dead Ringers when they're on form are also pretty good (Dead Ringers do an occasional good Michael Palin spoof).

As for some of the excrement shown now pretending to be comedy, Bo Selecta has to be the worst.

CF

----------------------
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.geocities.com/fang_club

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:17 pm 
Senior Looney

I think I remember Michael Palin or John Cleese saying somewhere that Python, as well as being a big influence and inspiration for everything else after it, also created a big problem: it established a new kind of comedy and everybody wanted to emulate it, but Python set the standard so high that everything else seems a disappointment. I think Python was also a mixture of quite distinct creative personalities, which gives the show its unique, unpredictable edge. I suppose there's a comparison to be made with the way many modern British bands are indebted to The Beatles and the whole 60s rock template, but they'll be forever stuck in a losing game. Or the way that a number of American sitcoms (Friends, Sex in the City) ripped off Seinfeld, but were never anywhere as good.

I'd accept that The Fast Show or Little Britain were funny at first, and that the ideas themselves were good until you realised they were just going to repeat them endless, but in the case of Bo Selecta there were no ideas to start with. Bo Selecta may be the first case of a 'comedy' series without a single joke, comic line, creative concept, humorous situation or demonstration of wit - funny or otherwise. It just shows you can build a cult success out of anything nowadays.

I've not seen that Dead Ringers Michael Palin spoof - who plays him?

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series