Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject: Python vs. Shark
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:47 pm 
Amazing Looney

did Monty Python jump the shark (decline in quality or undergo too many changes to retain its original charm)
and if yes, when?
here are a lot opinions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:58 am 
Amazing Looney

I dont think monty python ever jumped the shark.

Okay, so the last series wasn't quite as funny as the others. And MOL wasn't quite as good as the other python movies. But they were still great :lol:

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 pm 
Senior Looney

I agree that they didn't jump the shark either. Well, sure there were some weak point at their career, but I think that's normal in any great comedy show. It would be nearly impossible that the wit and mastery went always up and up with no downs.
I think I agree that when John left the series lost something and looked somewhat unbalanced, maybe Cleese is also right that sometimes they repeated themselves...well, from my point of view they still stay as one of the most succesful and hilarious troupes ever not because they jumped the shrak.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:29 pm 
Major Looney

fogchicken wrote:

Okay, so the last series wasn't quite as funny as the others. And MOL wasn't quite as good as the other python movies. But they were still great :lol:

:shock: :shock: MOL not as good as other films?? It is their best film! I think IT was their top of form. I like this film the most :shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:58 am 
Starting Loony

Location: Someplace I very cleverly took out of a Python sketch, don't you know.
I wouldn't say so, no. They came close to it in the later days of Flying Circus, with some of the sketches really just being old ones with new costumes, but they, I think, had the mind to give it a rest before falling into the dank, crowded pit of repetitive unfunny, that so many other comedies have been lost to.

I'd mention Friends as an example, but that wasn't very funny to begin with.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:44 am 
Senior Looney

Well, now, their magic certainly is a bit shall we say, dimmed? And I don't think that they could ever emulate their early Pythonic activities because of senility :) But, I also think that MOL is the best of their movies, so it may just be my opinion :?

Last edited by mrgumby4200 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:31 pm 
Average Looney

I think that as far as the TV series go, Monty Python jumped the shark with Season Four. I'm not saying it was horrible (it did have many funny sketches), but it was nowhere near the level of the first three years.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series