Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly

Post subject: Hi, I'm back, and I need some advice!!
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:10 pm 
Senior Looney

Location: Usually Barcelona (Spain), but I'm in London right now :)
Hi people, I'm back!!

I know I've been away for maybe too much time, but I have good reasons.

I started university last September, and I've been going to classes in the morning and to work in the afternoons. That's why I've been absolutely unable to come to the site. Luckily I've had really good grades in nearly all the exams and compositions I've done. In a few days I'll have exams (from the 11 to 18 December), and I'm really scared!!

But anyway, if everything's fine and I can pass them, in September I'll come to England!! In my career, at the beginning of our second year we're forced to spend three months in a country where English is the main language. I got the list of the universitys where I can go and there it is:

University of St Andrews (3)
University of Glasgow (5)
University of Newcastle (6)
University of Durham (8)
University of Leeds (4)
University of Salford (Manchester) (3)
University of Liverpool (6)
University of Nottingham (6)
University of London - King’s College (Modern Languages) (6)
University of London - King’s College (European Studies) (6)
University of Westminster (London) (4)
Roehampton University (London) (3)
London Metropolitan University (3)
University of Exeter (2)
University of Southampton (6)
University of Surrey (Guildford) (2)

National University of Ireland (Dublin) (2)
Handleshojskolen i Arhus (Aarhus, Denmark) (3)
University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia) (1)
University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia) (3)
University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada) (2)
Portland Community College (Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.) (5)
University of Arizona (Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.) (2)
University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.A.) (1)

The number in brackets is the number of places at each destination.As you see I have also the chance to pick USA, Canada or Australia, but there are only a few places there, and most people will chose them. And anyway, I'm dying to come to live to London, it'll be like a dream!! So I'd like to go to a University as close to the center of London as possible.

I have to give to my teacher a list of my 8 preferences. This is what I was thinking:

1-University of Westminster
2-University of London - King’s College (Modern Languages)
3-University of London - King’s College (European Studies)
4-London Metropolitan University
5-Roehampton University
6-University of Liverpool
7-University of St Andrews

And I'm doubtful about the last one.

What do you think of my choices? I'm asking mostly to British people because they'll know more things about each uni and such, but please everyone, feel free to tell me your opinion, and thank you in advance!!

Post subject: Re: Hi, I'm back, and I need some advice!!
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 am 
Meh

if you want to be as close to London as possible, i'd cross Liverpool off straight away, unless you're really into Beatles history but there's London guided walks around famous beatle landmarks too, like The Abbey Road Studios and Saville Row (rooftop gig).

I'd stick to London. I have no idea of the best university though but there's a lot more things to do, more places to see and all the jellied eels you could ask for.

oh and welcome back Kiri :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 am 
Hey Kiri. Nice to see you,

I live in the UK, so I'm going to throw my opinion at you and you'll have to do your best to duck... I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help you, I mean, I've just applied to University and none of the ones I've chosen are on that list (aside from Salford) so I'm afraid I'm not very informed about the rest. Because I'm biased about where I live, I'd say "Go to Salford! Manchester is great!" but if you want to be right near London, then I urge you to ignore that initial outburst, as it's a six hour drive to London from here. You'd actually be nowhere near where you want to be.

I get the impression from what I've heard that London Universities are good, but we're just told to avoid them because the cost of living in the city is so high. As for what Hammy said: cross off Liverpool if you want to be in London. (You could always come and check out The Beatles stuff if you get any free time :)) And definitely cross off St. Andrews, because that's way up in Scotland. Although it is supposed to be a very good University.

University of Westminster
University of London - King’s College (Modern Languages)
University of London - King’s College (European Studies)
London Metropolitan University

Those are the links to the websites for your Top 4. See what you think, I suppose. It all depends on which course you're doing as to which Uni is best... Just out of interest, which course are you doing? Something to do with Languages, no?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:22 am 
Meh

it's a real urban myth that the cost of living in london is too high. a tin of beans still costs the same. Greater London is like anywhere else. My bro lives in a posh part of inner London and his 1 bed flat costed about £80 a week, not bad considering that part of the area. i pay about £65 a week where I am.

Council taxes are expensive everywhere in the UK, i'm wondering what the council here where i am in the midlands are spending it all on in my dull bleak town :(

i've found London cheaper than many if not all other towns/cities across the UK. It's easier to get around too, they have the best transport system and the fares aren't anymore expensive as anywhere else too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:43 am 
You make a good point there. Perhaps the urban myth is more in relation to poor, out of pocket students who can't afford tins of beans! The transport system isn't bad at all. It just costs ridiculous amounts to get into London via public transport... Like, rumour has it, a first class return to London on the train at peak times can end up costing as much as it does to fly to the States. Depending on the part, obviously. And the airline. But that's just being picky.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 am 
Senior Looney

Thank you all for your opinions :D

Yeah, Ray Ray, my course has something to do with languages. I'm studying what is called here "Translation and Interpretation". I'm studying to become a translator and interpreter of English and French to my two mother languages, which are Catalan and Spanish. Our teacher said that all unis in the list are good for our purposes (that's why they're in the list) because the only goal of our trip is to do classes and improve our English as much as possible. We only have to choose where we would like to go and then, from the grades we get in our English exams now in December, they'll spread us (we're about 100 people, the places are real).

The reason of putting Liverpool in the list was that, as there are only five London unis in the list and I must choose eight, if I can't go to London, as I'm a more-than-huge Beatles fan, I'd love to go to Liverpool. And as I have still two more choices to do until I fill the eight gaps, I choose St Andrews because I heard it's a very good uni (although it is in Scotland) and I'm doubtful about the last one. Maybe I can put Manchester there and come to visit you Ray Ray :wink:

Of course if I'm able to live in London, also I'll try to move all around UK as much as possible. I'd like to visit Liverpool, to come back to Stratford-on-Avon (where I spent three weeks living with a family in 2004), to Warwick, to Kent, etc, and of course to the Monty Python day in Scotland which usually takes places at the end of September!!!!

I know maybe London is a bit more expensive than other cities, if I was coming for a year or more, it'd be a problem. But I think that as I'm only coming for three months I don't mind at all if I must pay a bit more to be more centrally situated. That's why I'm working all the afternoons and saving as much money as I can!! :D

I know about that Beatles tours in London. In fact, since November 2006 I've been three times in London: in November 2006 I came for four days with my mum, in May 2007 I came all alone for also four days and in July 2007 I came with a friend for three days. I must say all the three times I went to see Spamalot!! And in my May trip, as I came all alone, apart from attending to Spamalot twice in just four days, I joined one of that Beatles tours which is leaded by that freak owner of the Beatles Coffee Shop in Abbey Road. He showed us where the Beatles filmed some scenes in Marylebone station, where two of them got married, a couple of houses where they lived.... It was great, in a couple of weeks, after I finish my exams, I'll try to post some pics.

Thank you for your opinions, and now that you know what I'm studying, please feel free to correct me if I make any big mistake at writing. I think my bête noire are prepositions :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:04 am 
Kiri_84 wrote:
Maybe I can put Manchester there and come to visit you Ray Ray :wink:

Hehe, well if you said you're coming in September, there's a strong chance I won't actually be here, as I'm off to Uni myself.... and I doubt I'll end up going to the one in Manchester in the end.

The reason I replied to your post was because there was one sentence which particularly struck me. "In my career, at the beginning of our second year we're forced to spend three months in a country where English is the main language" That's the same as something I've been planning on doing for a while. Or at least, was. I guess it's a fairly common scheme - sending people overseas to study - but I've never come across anyone who has done it / is planning to do it before. You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes :)

And the course you're doing sounds pretty cool too. Means you could travel all over if you wanted to. Although, by the sounds of it, you already have. Hope it all works out for you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:09 am 
Hot Hungarian

how about cambridge? python-place :D
just joking... but is it so difficult to get to cambridge/oxford?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:29 pm 
I'm presuming you mean to get in to Cambridge and Oxford...
Yes, yes it is. The selection process is totally horrific. If a University has to be as picky as watching the way you eat before they accept you, you could probably imagine how picky they're going to be about everything else. I've seen some incredibly talented people rejected by those two Universities. It's a waste.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm 
Admin Overlord

Speaking from personal experience - DO NOT go to the University of Westminster. It's a rubbish university. I did some postgrad. study there and the quality of the teaching was absolutely aweful. I hated every moment I was there.

If you want London, go for King's College - it has a fantastic reputation.

The University of St. Andrews is where Prince William went, so it's got to be pretty good.

Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Nottingham and Liverpool are all members of the elite Russell Group, which is made up of the top 20 universities in the UK, so you know you'd get a really fantastic standard of teaching

The University of Southampton is quite nice. I almost went there.

I don't know about the University of Exeter, but it's in a lovely part of the country, on the coast.

I would not recommend London Metropolitan University and Roehampton University as they haven't got particularly good academic records, but they're a lot better than Westminster.

I would also recommend the National University of Ireland as Dublin is a fantastic place

It's a shame that Warwick University isn't on the list, as I'd be recommending that (I got my degree there!!!)

If I as picking from the list, my 8 preferences would be
1 + 2: King's College, London
3: St. Andrews
4: Nottingham
5 Leeds
6. Dublin
7: Newcastle
8: Liverpool

Westminster would be at the absolute bottom of my list by a very, very long way.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 pm 
Senior Looney

Wow, thanks CF, that has helped me a lot!!

Yes, it's a pity that Warwick isn't in the list, I spent three weeks just near there, in Stratford-on-Avon and went to visit Warwick. I fell in love with the town and its castle, I wouldn't mind to live there for some months. I also went to Oxford. The University was great, but I didn't like the city very much.

It's a pity that all Universities in the list are so far away from London (except those which are IN London).

I think I'll follow your advice and I'll apply for King's College in the first place. I hope my grades will be good enough and they'll give me my first choice... :P :P

And Ray Ray, one of the reasons for choosing this career was because I wanted to study abroad as much as possible, and starting in England sounds more than wonderful!! But it'll only be fot three months, and then I'm forced to come back to continue here. Then in my fourth and also in my fifth year I can go abroad again, and I'm planning to go to Amsterdam, maybe for 6 or 9 months, and to another country which I haven't already decided. But first of all I must pass my f***** exams!!! :D :D
The other reason I choosed it is because I'm mad about English. I don't know, I like the language a lot. Maybe it's because I love the Beatles and Monty Python. I think the Beatles made me love English, and Monty Python made me love translation. The first time I became interested in translation was when I was watching some Python sketches with subtitles, and I realized that they didn't had any sense if you didn't know English. One of them was the one in Monty Python in Hollywood when mr. Smoketoomuch says he can't pronounce the letter C, and says he was bitten by a Siamese bat (not cat!!). In the subtitles there were written the literal spanish translations for bat and cat, which are "gato" and "murcielago", so I though the joke wouldn't be funny at all for someone who didn't speak English. It was like "This will never happen to me!!!". And here I am, in my way to make English my third mother language :D:D

I hope I'll have enough time to keep posting my advances. By now, I have to do exams (and pass them!!), give my list of choices to my teacher and cross my fingers!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm 
Senior Looney

OK, just in case you care I'm finally going to.... King's College!!! Today I got the cofirmation from my teacher!!

Londoneers and Brits in general, be prepared because next September.... I'm coming!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly