Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly

Post subject: short film
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:35 pm 
Starting Loony

I was twelve or thirteen when I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail when it was first released (sometime in 1975, I think). I saw it at a cinema in Spokane, Washington, and showing before it was a short black and white film about a man and a woman swimming naked in a lake. It was an "artsy," silent film, cute and funny, but my memories of it are very dim. I was surprised at the time because it featured both male and female nudity (though rather tame). I'm curious about who may have made the short film, what it was called, and whether it accompanied Holy Grail in its general, nationwide release or if its showing was limited to only a few regional theaters.

Any thoughts? Thanks

...and there was much rejoicing...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:47 am 
Senior Looney

You probably won't have too much luck with that...

Although we are python fans, the majority of us are probably not really old enough to remember anything like that (or like myself, I was born after it came out)

I don't think this movie you are referring to was in any way related to the pythons, but I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquistion"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:13 pm 
Starting Loony

I remember that short, as far as I can recall it was shown in the UK on release. I'll do some digging around and get back to you.

[:D][:D]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:56 pm 
Starting Loony

Thanks for the input. Do let me know what you find out, Spike. It's just a little thing I've been curious about for years. Interesting that it was shown in the UK, and funny that I've never heard anyone ever refer to it before now. Thanks for validating what I was beginning to worry was a fabrication of my own mind. At the time, I assumed it to be a Python production, and it's hard to imagine it not being.

Anyway, thanks again.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:40 am 
Starting Loony

Well I've dug around everywhere I can think and come up with sweet FA.

Last resort is a letter I've sent to M Palin through the BBC, dont hold yer breath.

My nipples explode with delight.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:03 am 
Starting Loony

Thanks again. I rummaged around online in the archives of the New York Times, checking reviews etc. of the film from 1975 to see if anyone mentioned it, but nobody did. The best idea is to go right to the source, as you've done. Hopefully some info will come your way.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:37 am 
Starting Loony

"Romance With A Double Bass" starring John Cleese and Connie Booth.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0072095/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:03 pm 
Starting Loony

Thank you! It's a forty-minute film based on a Chekhov story! How funny that the leads were Cleese and Booth--at the time I saw it I barely knew what Monty Python was and wouldn't have been able to recognize the pair. I can't wait to see it again. Apparently it's available on amazon. Terrific! This info has made what was otherwise a very bleak day into a, well, not so bleak day.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:19 pm 
Average Looney

Hello A.N!

Good to talk to you again.

I'm sorry, but I had to delete those pics you gave us in the Carol Cleveland thread. ( Stills from 'Romance'..., etc.) So the link no longer works. I had to use the webpage for other purposes, and I assumed anyone who was interested had already downloaded them. Otherwise, I would have referred this gentleman to the link.

Hope you've made some progress in your research of the ' All I want is You...' film.

All the best,

Teddy

Salad as in lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:12 am 
Average Looney

Roger:

We must be in the same age group. I was 15 or 16 when 'Holy Grail' hit the states. Although I was familiar with the TV series, I had certainly never seen anything like this before on the big screen.

Did you and your friends walk around saying 'ni' to each other for weeks as we did?

Teddy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:12 pm 
Starting Loony

We are in the same age-group, Teddy: I just turned 41 the other day. Monty Python had been on US public television for a few months prior to the release of Holy Grail--the first general US exposure to the series (I think). I caught some episodes with my dad and brother and we were floored by it. When we saw the ads for the film, of course we all had to go see it. It was one of the greatest moments of my young life.

Yes, within hours my friends and I were saying "Ni" to old women.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:07 am 
Average Looney

Only 41? Go wipe your nose, you little bastard. I turned 47 in September. So there.

Seriously, though, I seem to remember the series being broadcast well in advance of Holy Grail, by a few years in fact. But then, I live in New Jersey, just outside of New York City. I think the New York public TV channels may have been a bit ahead of the rest of the country in broadcasting new, or as the term in vogue at the time was, ' avant-garde ' television, and Monty Python definitely fell into this category.

So I just wanted to make the rather ludicrous point that I saw it before you did. What do you think of that? Huh? What do you think of that?

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly