Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Graham
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:49 am 
Starting Loony

So, I just bought the Python autobiography. It's hard to pick a favorite Python, but, Graham is probably the definitive favorite for me. (in close alignment with Palin and Jones)

Being that I like him so much, I'm just curious about his life and what his fellow Pythons thought of him. So, I skimmed quickly through the book looking for things specifically about him and...I don't know how to interpret certain things.

It's always been my opinion that the Pythons were good friends. Good friends, albeit, with problems inherent, obviously, as is the nature of friendship.

But, it seemed to me like Eric was one of the Pythons most distraught over Graham's death (judging by his speech at the memorial).

Yet, in the book, he says, "I was not really that close to him, as a pal, because he never revealed very much of himself, there was a lot hidden."

So we go from that to this: "This is how I get through it, to write something about him in a song. Then I had to sing 'Always Look on the Bright Side' at Graham's memorial, which was the hardest thing in the world for me to do, I must say, it was really hard. People always ask me to do that for them and I can't do it. It's really tough to sing."

Anyway. I chose picked Idle off the top of my head. But I'm just curious about everyone else's interpretation of the nature and depth of friendship between the Python lot, especially regarding Graham.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:35 pm 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
I read the Python biography too-it's a great book-getting all the info about Python life straight from the horses' mouths, so to speak-it was really interesting.

I think all the Pythons got on considerably well. They had their moments, as you do in any relationships. Eric Idle, in the book, says he was seen as a bit of a 'younger brother' type to the rest of them, as he was the youngest of the lot. And you also have to remember that he met them all a bit later, as John and Graham met at university, and so did Michael and Terry Jones-and then Mike and Terry met Terry Gilliam and introduced him to John and Graham.

As for the closeness of them-I think John Cleese was probably the closest to Graham-having met at university and then doing all the writing together for Python-I think they understood each other pretty well. Eric and Michael seemed to get on with all the others pretty well. I know there was friction at times with Terry Gilliam and the others (especially Terry Jones), but I think that was because the two Terrys were both directing things for the Python tv show and films at the same time-and they both had different styles of directing-that's bound to cause problems sometimes. Gilliam being a perfectionist too, would probably get up your nose at times.

All the Pythons said that Graham was a very complicated man-especially when he was drinking-which he did a lot of-but still-he was a complete genius-and I don't think anyone could argue with that. John Cleese would be a hard man to get to know too, I think. I mean, they're all brilliant as far as I'm concerned, but it seems that John would probably not open up about himself as much as some of the others, unless you really knew him.

As for Graham's death - John Cleese, Michael Palin, Graham's brother John Chapman and Graham's partner David Sherlock were the only people at the hospital at the time of Graham's death. (Although comedian Peter Cook and Eric Idle both visited the hospital before Graham's death. Terry Jones arrived about an hour after) David Sherlock said that John Cleese was so upset he had to go to another room-they were obviously all quite devastated. And of course, Graham being so shockingly young when he died too. His brother, John Chapman said afterwards "Who knows what he would have been capable of if he hadn't succumbed in the way he did. I don't think I regret any aspects of his life except that one wonders how much his lifestyle contributed to his early demise. On the other hand, if his lifestyle had been any different, would he have been as productive as he was, as innovative as he was. One doesn't know".

I think that's fairly true too-Graham had a lot of demons I think-and I reckon a lot of times the other Pythons would have had to tread very carefully. But look at his work in Holy Grail-he was an alcoholic at the time-but he was brilliant as Arthur. Even more-he was clean and sober when they filmed Life of Brian- and he was brilliant in that too-so hard or not to work with-he still came up with the results AND he was still writing with John and stuff, so that aspect of his career wasn't affected. I think John Cleese (and the others I guess) would have had a lot of patience and time for him. His talent wasn't affected by the way he lived.

I'm sure all the other Pythons would have had their moments,too,but when it comes to the crunch, they've been friends for nearly 40 years, and as far as we know none of them hate each other - I reckon that's pretty good for so many different personalities and talents.

Long live Pythonmania[:D]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:48 pm 
Senior Looney

[:0]I GOTTA BUY THIS BOOK![:0] Is it the book with the cartoon inside the foot?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:19 am 
Looney Elite

it sounds like a good book, especially from the preview we got here. but what is it actually called?

You're fooling yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:21 am 
Senior Looney

It's called The pythons by The pythons an autobiography.
The cover is white the letters are big and blue and it has the cut out of the man that appears on and off on the beggining credits, the man inside the huge pair of legs with the leaf covering the privates.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:06 pm 
Amazing Looney

I have that book. Even though I haven't actually read it yet, it's still great. I bought it for $80 Canadian.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:23 am 
Looney Elite

i hope it's a bit cheaper here in america; otherwise i'm going to have to wait a while to get it.

You're fooling yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:01 pm 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
The cover of the book is actually a grey sort of colour (unless they've done it differently here in Australia). It's a brilliant book-I received it for Christmas and I read it from cover to cover in the following couple of days! I couldn't put it down!

Midnight Sun - if you're a big Graham fan (he's my second favourite, after Michael Palin)- there's another great book called OJRIL - the completely incomplete Graham Chapman (you may already have it). It is a book containing unpublished scripts that Graham wrote (including one for a 1974 American tv special called "Our Show For Ringo Starr", which was much-rumoured but never produced). As you probably know, Ringo was also a big Python fan, and he was the only Beatle to appear in an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus (albeit for about a minute and a half-but who cares?! He was there!!). I'm a big Beatles fan too - so I've been reading up on the George Harrison/Ringo Starr involvement.
Anyway-the book of Graham's scripts is very funny-and if you're a Graham fan, I reckon you'd enjoy it. It was edited by Jim Yoakum (who, together with David Sherlock (Graham's partner),established the Graham Chapman Archives in 1997 to preserve, protect and make available the work of Graham). Eric Idle wrote the Foreward for the book-in typical Eric style-but it was lovely.

Those of you who have the Python autobiography - read it!!! It's definitely worth it. I thought that it would take me ages because of work and stuff,but it didn't-you won't be able to put it down.[:)]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:38 am 
Major Looney

Incidentally I have that OJRIL scriptbook, and it's about the only usefull thing jim yoakum ever did. He's a complete bastard who appointed himself GC archives.
If you liked the scripts however you might be interested in the petition-link in my signature:

This is not a signature!

Petition for the release of Graham's last work: http://www.petitiononline.com/jakejour/petition.html

Otherwise: www.montypythonmuseum.tk

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:58 am 
Just Plain Amazing

It's a good book, havent finished reading it yet though!

"People are not wearing enough hats!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:33 pm 
Major Looney

Oh yes, it's very interesting. Pity many of the things never saw the light of day - and pity yoakum uses this sort of thing as a way of getting attention for himself.

This is nøt å signåture.

[url="http://www.petitiononline.com/jakejour/petition.html"]Petition for the release of Graham's last work[/url]

Otherwise: www.montypythonmuseum.tk

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:34 am 
Senior Looney

More stuff on Graham's death...
The Pythons wrote letters to one another, and they decided that they shouldn't go to the funeral in order to stop it from being a huge media event. Instead, they held their own memorial mass. Cardinal Fang has more information on Graham's death, and John's funeral speech if you're interested. All the other Pythons came to the funeral, and Eric said "Graham insists on being dead, which is really rather selfish of him," and Terry Jones said "Graham's death is the biggest act of party pooping ever," As you can see, the Pythons loved Graham for the man he was, and they were all devestated by his loss.

You're no fun anymore!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons