Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: Where does "Monty Python" come from?
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:05 pm 
Junior Looney

Where does "Monty Python" come from?

And the answer:
-"There are differing accounts of the origins of the Python name although the members agree that its only 'significance' was that they thought it sounded funny. In the 1998 documentary Live At Aspen the group implied that 'Monty' was selected as a gently-mocking tribute to Field Marshal Lord Montgomery, a legendary British general of World War II; requiring a "slippery-sounding" surname, they settled on 'Python'. On other occasions Idle has claimed that the name 'Monty' was that of a popular and rotund fellow who drank in his local pub; people would often walk in and ask the barman, "Has Monty been in yet?", forcing the name to become stuck in his mind."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:56 pm 
Admin Overlord

It started off being called “The Circus” or “Baron Von Took’s Circus” around the BBC, just because people needed to call it something (and because it was Barry Took’s pet project).

When the Python team started to decide on names, titles such as "Whither Canada?", "Owl-Stretching Time", "Bunn, Wackett, Buzzard, Stubble and Boot", "It's", "It," "The Venus Di Milo Panic Show," "The Toad Elevating Moment," and "A Horse, a Bucket and a Spoon" were bounced around (many would later turn up as episode titles). They were then told that it had have the name “Circus” in it, as this is what all the suits in the BBC knew it as. “Flying” was added to remove the image of clowns and elephants. Then they came to deciding who’s Flying Circus it was. Michael Palin came up with the name "Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus" (Gwen Dibley being a name he saw in a newspaper article), but although everyone originally approved it was quickly nixed. "Arthur Megapode" was also scrapped. "Python" was suggested to represent someone who seemed a bit slimy. "Norm Python" and "Bob Python" came and went.

The "Monty" is mysterious, and the Pythons themselves have given various suggestions as to how it came about (as you point out, it possibly could be a reference to reference to the World War 2 hero Field Marshall Bernard "Monty" Montgomery. All we know is that, combined with "Python" it conjured the exact up an image of a seedy, sixth-rate theatrical booker that the group wanted.

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 pm 
Average Looney

I like the story theyused in one of "Personal Best" DVDs:

An interview with the mother of (either Eric idle or Michael Palin, can't remember which DVD, bear with me).
Mom: "..so I said, you might as well call it 'Monty Python's Flying Circus!', and lo and behold, that's what the BBC wound up calling it!"

Interviewer: "Did it ever occur to you that perhaps he stole the title from you?"

Mom: "Why, no it... that BASTARD!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:17 am 
Hot Hungarian

Cereal Killef wrote:
I like the story theyused in one of "Personal Best" DVDs:

An interview with the mother of (either Eric idle or Michael Palin, can't remember which DVD, bear with me).
Mom: "..so I said, you might as well call it 'Monty Python's Flying Circus!', and lo and behold, that's what the BBC wound up calling it!"

Interviewer: "Did it ever occur to you that perhaps he stole the title from you?"

Mom: "Why, no it... that BASTARD!"

that was Eric :D he plays his mother soo funny :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:38 am 
I think the 'Live at Aspen' account is probably the most likey
... I actually watched that again this evening, and on Friday evening.
Was it Gwen Dibley or Gwynn Dibley ?
I don't like Gwen much ... that was my wicked stepmothers name
...although Gwen Stefani is a bit of alright.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons