Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:14 am 
Major Looney

Ah, but it much more suited the way that the stage show was set up, otherwise they would have had to make Palin the pneultimate premier character, and anyway, Idle is more brash with his singing

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:36 am 
Starting Loony

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hey, I was just wondering what everybody's view is on Terry Gilliam's contribution to the series. We all harpon about the great sketches and writing and eccentric performances, but what about all the cartoon sequences. Do people find that they help contribute to the style, were they an equal to the acting sequences in general, or were they just sub-standard-comedy wise.
Please, please, tell me what you think, I really need to know- my teeth are starting to dance.

ANd get a haircut you pansy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

When MP first aired on TV in New England (way back in the early 70's, I think...), I was still in high school. I remember noticing the cartoons first and thinking how outrageous they were........of course, it was only a matter of time before I started appreciating the skits as much as, if not more than the cartoons----what the hey..... I LOVE 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!

Le Frogge Crunchéz

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:20 am 
Major Looney

Well, I am so glad that soem one finally gave the answer that one did sought

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:34 pm 
Starting Loony

I think gilliam's great sense and extremely odd sense of humour had greatly effected how the world knows python... i thought, at first, that he was just the weird american guy thatmade cartoons that seemed to repeat themselves OVER AND OVER AND OVER... but while i was at disney world with my dad about to go on a ride, we were watching the little show they have before hand. well, my father and i just looked at eachother after a short sequence of animation was over and we just said "is that python or what???" even now to think about it just boggles my mind how some short film before a disney ride can make you go "PYTHON!"

Woman: Oh fishy, fishy, fishy, fish.
Man: Fish, fish, fish, fishy oh!
Woman: Oh fishy, fishy, fishy fish.
Man:That went wherever I did go!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:57 am 
Senior Looney

I really enjoy Gilliam's animation.

Honestly, I really didn't at first, but as I grew older and wiser, I began to appreciate his animation more and more.

He, in my opinion, rocks.

http://www.pythonland.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:18 pm 
Starting Loony

[/quote]

When MP first aired on TV in New England (way back in the early 70's, I think...), I was still in high school. I remember noticing the cartoons first and thinking how outrageous they were........of course, it was only a matter of time before I started appreciating the skits as much as, if not more than the cartoons----what the hey..... I LOVE 'EM ALL!!!!!!!!!

Le Frogge Crunchéz
[/quote]

For the record, Monty Python first aired October 5, 1969 but not in America until 1974. But regardless, you're right. The cartoons are great. Personally, I prefer the sketches (as I see you do too) but they are all great. So I agree with you

If you're going to split hairs, I'm going to piss off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:20 pm 
Starting Loony

For the record, I meant 19 years after it first aired in Britain, sorry if there was any confusion (not that you care).

If you're going to split hairs, I'm going to piss off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:21 am 
Admin Overlord

I'm not sure you can pick on over the other. The animations are what make Python unique as they allow them to move from one sketch to another, even if they're completely different.

Personally I like both sketches and animations - I love the Jape sketch and the Cheese shop sketch, but I also love the carnivorous pram anim, the dancing Venus and the woman tripping up the buses.

Cardinal Fang

----------------------
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.geocities.com/fang_club

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:27 pm 
Senior Looney

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I'm not sure you can pick on over the other. The animations are what make Python unique as they allow them to move from one sketch to another, even if they're completely different.

Personally I like both sketches and animations - I love the Jape sketch and the Cheese shop sketch, but I also love the carnivorous pram anim, the dancing Venus and the woman tripping up the buses.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Hear! Hear!

I have no idea what that means, but I agree with the good Cardinal and stuff.

http://www.pythonland.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:21 pm 
Average Looney

Gilliams animations are so bizarre, I can't do other than love 'em.

pythonlandmember

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:51 pm 
Starting Loony

It works Mate. The insane behaviour of the sketches is put into a balance or a contrast with the insane behaviour in the cartoons. But I can't say for sure if one was designed to make the other just believeable enough to stand up against logical scutiny. So perhaps they were both used to suspend logic just long enough to chuckle or laugh. That's the point right?

Luke

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:34 pm 
Starting Loony

well, i think that the animations are very funny a lot of the time. even if it is just a sort of slap stick humor it still contributes greatly to the style. I really like that one where the prince is bouncing around on all fours and the voice over is a nice voice and it says and then one day the prince noticed a black speck on his face but foolishly does nothing and one day he developed (then the nice voice is replaced by a loud mans voice that sounds as if it has been put over the original recording and it says GANGREEN and then it switches to the other voice again and) it talks about how all of the black specks reproduce and fill up the whole earth. that one was great. you can't have monty python without animations.

and i'll have whiskey for pudding too

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons