Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:09 pm 
Average Looney

Stoat_Gobbler wrote:
I think TG made a great film with Fisherking regardless, but it doesn't have as many trademarks as his other films do

So let's go back talking about interests :P
We flamed and went off topic for a while but now there we are!

Gilliam's trademarks concern his interests, I suppose. Such as Middle-ages! He and Terry Jones shared a real and deep interest in Middle-ages, the REAL Middle-ages full of dirt, filth, obscurity and not only the too common exotic idea of chivarly, magic and honour.
I read in an interview (yes, i do like interviews more than essais made by other people) that he was inspired for Jabberwocky and the Holy Grail by Pasolini, which is an italian artist (poet, director, writers etc.), the first who gave such representation of Middle-Ages.

But I think his real trademark is the uncommon way of directing, with a lot of distortions and surreal things.

I really would like to say that no matter what a person could say about another. But we can't deny Gilliam's talent only because he changed his mind about the Pythons. We aren't in his head. Neither in Jones' or Idle's. I can understand that someone can like a Python more than the others but we should keep a certain impartiality because we can't really know who is sincere and who is not.
Also Cleese said a lot of nasty things about the Pythons, but no one really got interested in it because John said them from the beginning (he has always been "quarrelsome", lol)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:51 pm 
Looney Elite

Quote:
I've only been here a few days at the moment and have been pretty dissapointed at the level of serious intelligent posts (even on a forum where the topic is comedy), but I couldn't beleive it when Mournload Holiday posted his intelligent, passionate, personal opinions and was threatened with the Mods/Admin!

Some people take simple words and opinions which others post too seriously and seem to respond as though it was a personal attack. I've seen it way too many times over years and quite frankly wish there were more rules about the minimum age and the amount of "me too" types posts and pointless favourite quotes etc. ad nauseum

I supposed this anti-Mournload gaulled me even more as I agree with him about Terry Gilliam being the only true artist in the MP team. That's not to say I don't like the others, but they are comedic actors / writers etc. and not in the same league as TG. It would be interesting to hear an objective view about what TG said about the other members from those other members rather than their fans here only fawning over their particular favourite.

I say delete all the "who/what's your fav member/chracter/sketch" drivel by posters who quote inanely and shove their huge banners in your face.

Stage left - 16 ton weight...

if you actually read my posts, you'll notice what set me off wasn't his stance on Terry Gilliam, but when he started in with the negative Ad Hominem against 5piny n0rman.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:37 pm 
Quote:
if you actually read my posts, you'll notice what set me off wasn't his stance on Terry Gilliam, but when he started in with the negative Ad Hominem against 5piny n0rman.

I did read your posts, but I was replying genearally to all who responded with opinions on the whole caboodle.

"Who you callin' an homo?" I'll have yer liver out!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:17 am 
Major Looney

Are you sure you are not mournload holiday in a clever disguise?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:23 am 
Major Looney

The Lumberjack wrote:
Gilliam's trademarks concern his interests, I suppose. Such as Middle-ages! He and Terry Jones shared a real and deep interest in Middle-ages, the REAL Middle-ages full of dirt, filth, obscurity and not only the too common exotic idea of chivarly, magic and honour.
I read in an interview (yes, i do like interviews more than essais made by other people) that he was inspired for Jabberwocky and the Holy Grail by Pasolini, which is an italian artist (poet, director, writers etc.), the first who gave such representation of Middle-Ages.

Pasolini pushes things into dirt and sex and deviance a bit too much even for my taste.
Going a bit OT here, but I always wondered why there is a potato in Jabberwocky. Potatoes are part of the Columbian exchange (spreading vegetables and diseases over all continents), so in the strictly medieval setting of Jabberwocky there should not be potatoes. It must have been on purpose.

'It could be carried by...'
"NO! There is no species of swallow that is able to cross the Atlantic!"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:04 am 
[quote]
Pasolini pushes things into dirt and sex and deviance a bit too much even for my taste.
Going a bit OT here, but I always wondered why there is a potato in Jabberwocky. Potatoes are part of the Columbian exchange (spreading vegetables and diseases over all continents), so in the strictly medieval setting of Jabberwocky there should not be potatoes. It must have been on purpose. [quote]

Hey something we agree on - no potato in that period, although don't forget its not a factual documetary but a funny film.

I also saw something recently that contested the theory of the potato appearing in Europe from the New World. It was an archelogical programme on TV where the potato plant was depicted carved in stone from about 15000 years ago. I never followed it up.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:10 am 
5piny n0rman wrote:

It's a fair cop.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:05 am 
so it is you? mournload holiday?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:13 am 
Major Looney

Stoat_Gobbler wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:

It's a fair cop.

Except that it wasn't exactly a clever disguise.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:30 am 
Not once you let rip into 5piny n0rman anyway

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:50 am 
I can't even make a MP-related joke without being taken serious now! LOL

I'm sure Admin can confim we don't have the same IP Addy. Duh.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:15 pm 
Admin Overlord

Guys, seriously now. If you can't carry on a thread without it turning into a slanging match we'll have to lock it.

As a point of courtesy, if you're posting something sarcastic that you think someone might in the least way take the wrong way, a smiley (e.g. :D ) goes a long way.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons