Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: Atkinson goes Chapman???
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:46 pm 
Starting Loony

Don't really know where to put this, so here goes...

A while ago I saw somewhere on tv the MP sketch in which a group of rich elderly men were increasingly boasting to eachother about how tremendously poor they were as a child ("we had to live in a box!" "Cardboard box? You were lucky!" etc etc) - hope you know which one i'm on about. Only the deceased Chapman was being replaced by Rowan Atkinson.

If any of you saw this particular performance, care to comment on Atkinson's "(in)capability" of filling in the role of the - in my opinion irreplaceble - ex-python?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:36 pm 
Major Looney

f**k off, Atkinson was great in that sketch. It isn't even a Monty Python sketch, it's from "At last the 1948 show" - admittedly that still includes Graham Chapman. So what? Rowan is a great actor, you should see his "Rowan Atkinson Live" live show, that was breathtakingly funny. (But not sold in a lot of places.)

I see no point in you bashing a sketch performed in 1979(!). It was just an old sketch in a fund raising for amnesty international. Bit late aren't you?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:15 am 
Starting Loony

Allright, excúse me!

I see no reason whatsoever for you to pick on me like that! I only yesterday joined this forum, because I just recently got really interested in monty python. Ánd I happen to LOVE both Rowan Atkinson and Graham Chapman (ánd I'm the proud possessor of that "Rowan Atkinson Live Show" as a matter of fact!) and yés, I thought he wás very good in that sketch! I can't really see were in my post you can find ány hint of me dissapproving of Rowan. It was just something I was curious about, how real python fans such as yourself thought of it, mainly because I've read in Rowan's biography (by Bruce Dessau) how intensly he admired the pythons, and was influenced by their performances. Thát's why I wanted to know!

By the way, I don't even know if we're talking about the same sketch, because I saw the pythons definately perform it at the Hollywood Bowl (on tv, that is). As I stated, I didn't know how old the sketch was, or the occasion on which it was performed... excuse me for not keeping a monty-python-is-on-tv-log.

And if I do happen to be wrong, then I'm absolutaly very sorry not to have such an unlimited python-knowlegde, in my country I can be proud of even knowing they ever existed. Be that as it may, it was still just a simple poll to know how you - obviously fanatic - python fans thought about it.

Or to put it in your own words, and I quote '5piny n0rman': "Interesting threads would be about things I do not know yet or upcoming releases or something." Yes, I dared to think my question was one of those...

Furthermore, isn't éverything on python performances "a bit late"???? How can you possibly post any "new" python-related material? How COULD I not be "a bit late" about a sketch, appearantly performed in '79 when I wasn't even born yet??

Before I registered, I read through almost the entire forum (and yes, you lot seemed reasonably fun to talk with) and as I couldn't find an entry on some things I was pondering about, and ofcourse because I thought joining in would be a nice "waste" of time, I completaly innocently posted this question.

THANKS for being so very KIND to me in your reply to my FIRST post. Let me tell you, that you really succeed in making a new member - who even isn't able to talk/type (and in this case: defend herself) in her mother tongue - feel véry much at home.

I shall now galantly draw back from polluting this obviously very highly inflammable forum, to cause no more indignation amongst it's members.

To think I was so enthousiastic yesterday, finally to have found some people who seem to enjoy talking about the unequalled example of British humour any Belgian has ever seen.

I shall now then, finally "F**k off", but you, 5piny n0rman, frankly can *oplazeren* yourself!

Heleen.

PS: IF this reply seems over-exaggerated to you or any other reader: I happen to be a very sensitive person, and I don't think *anyone* would like to be put off like this on his/her first attempted post, especially considering the fact that I *am* very fond of all python-related issues and people. That's what you get when you become a fan considerably ... late. For Brian's sake, I'm currently even mourning over Graham's death! How's that for devotion?!?

Post subject: Re: Atkinson goes Chapman???
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:01 am 
Major Looney

Infernal Duckling wrote:
If any of you saw this particular performance, care to comment on Atkinson's "(in)capability" of filling in the role of the - in my opinion irreplaceble - ex-python?

You seemed to suggest INcapability - apparently you didn't intend to say that.
With you being a new member there was no way to know if you were some loony out to bash Atkinson or cause heated arguments or not (some people are). I'll take your word for it that you aren't.

You home country often has British comedy on TV. I would be surprised if Monty python wasn't known there.

This IS the same sketch, BEFORE Graham's death and BEFORE the Hollywood Bowl. It is NOT strictly speaking an original monty python sketch.
Atkinson has almost never worked with the pythons so I really don't see why he would "go chapman". He simply filled in a role at a fundrasing because Chapman didn't want to do it at the time.

Ik lazer niet op, lazer lekker zelf op. Ha.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:22 am 
Amazing Looney

Here's the sketch with Rowan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLh_w4Qhgw

Here is it with Graham:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GauECi1Syw

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 pm 
Major Looney

Very good!

But if I may say so - being very careful this time - you did forget about the original sketch. I will try to upload it later.
I and other people already uploaded bits of the 1948 show: http://www.youtube.com/results?search=1 ... rch_videos

As far as I am concerned it is comparing apples to pears.

Post subject: Re: Atkinson goes Chapman???
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:34 pm 
Looney Elite

Quote:
Quote:

You seemed to suggest INcapability - apparently you didn't intend to say that.
With you being a new member there was no way to know if you were some loony out to bash Atkinson or cause heated arguments or not (some people are). I'll take your word for it that you aren't.

You home country often has British comedy on TV. I would be surprised if Monty python wasn't known there.

This IS the same sketch, BEFORE Graham's death and BEFORE the Hollywood Bowl. It is NOT strictly speaking an original monty python sketch.
Atkinson has almost never worked with the pythons so I really don't see why he would "go chapman". He simply filled in a role at a fundrasing because Chapman didn't want to do it at the time.

Ik lazer niet op, lazer lekker zelf op. Ha.

nonetheless, i feel that your reaction was rather inappropriate to the situation. at least, the "f**k off" part.

be careful what you type. we never quite know what the reaction may be. and in this case, it seems the reaction was losing a member due to one person's rashness.

congratulations.

Last edited by Dennis on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:38 pm 
Starting Loony

@ Gambolputty: thanks! I've been looking for that sketch!

@ 5piny n0rman: thanks for being more careful :wink:.

About my question, let me pls explain: it must have been more than a year ago that I saw this particular sketch on tv - can't remember which channel (probably British), can't remember on which occasion, can't remember a date... I just sort of 'stumbled' upon it. Anyway, at that time I was - as I still am now - a huge Atkinsonfan: his stand up-performances (especially "A Warm Welcome", "The Schoolmaster" and the Jesus of Nazareth sketch) and ofcourse all the Blackadders. It was only through him - his kind of humour - that "Monty Python" caught my interest (that, and fawlty towers).
Anyway, when I saw the sketch I was talking about I actually only knew Palin and Cleese, frankly I couldn't even tell Eric Idle apart from Graham Chapman :oops: (very ashamed of that, but now I can manage :wink: ). Reflecting on that sketch now, with a 'respectable' Monty Python-knowlegde, I only "presumed" that it must have been after G's death because of the non-pythonesque presence of Atkinson. So I admit ofcourse: the whole context was a bit vague to me, I secretly hoped that a) somehow I had got it right or b) you guys would fill in the gaps, which you by now more than sufficiantly did, and I'm very happy with that!

As for the title... didn't really know what to put there, it had to be short and summarizing... so I suppose I got that wrong there :P Oh, and the (in) before capability I added in a second *edit*, because I otherwise thought I'd be accused of favoratism for Rowan (ironic, isn't it - nah, I like them both in their own style, choosing between Blackadder and Monty Python is absolutely the hardest decision anyone has ever asked me, and I still didn't figure it out).

By the way, personally I prefer python sketches above films (partly because I think they're more "pure" if you know what I mean, and partly because, well, I know their films by heart by now), but it's very hard over here to get your hands on (early or pre-) python material (I've desperately tried to find the "And now for something completaly different"- stuff the MP biography is on about... without succes so far :( )

And, honestly, don't bother asking Dutch television channels to broadcast Monty Python; they don't even consider NEW British Comedy, like the excellent Coupling or Green Wing, to be worth it for more than 3 episodes... From then it's all back to "Keeping up Appearances" for the millionth time :roll: It's really, really sad. There better at this sort of thing in the Netherlands. I've thought about moving there, but there's a hell of a lot of water on that side, and our Royal family is much more fun to look at :twisted: .

Well, I hope we've sorted things out, so I can go posting happily ever after on this forum, mainly browsing for more MP material :D .

Oh, 5piny n0rman: als gij dan toch zo goed Nederlands kunt hoef ik me feitelijk nie eens bezig te houden die onnozele Engelse spelling. Een taal die niemeer veranderd is sinds de tijd van Otto de Harige, geen enkel woord dat wordt uitgesproken zoals ge't schrijft... is da om de buitenlanders een beetje de nek om te draaien? Neem nu het Nederlands: uitgeverijen verdienen elk half jaar een fortuin aan de herziene nieuwe woordenboeken! Talk about evolution! You silly English Knnniggets!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:26 pm 
Major Looney

"At last the 1948 show" (1966) - The Original Four Yorkshiremen Sketch featuring John Cleese (MP), Graham Chapman (MP), Marty Feldman (Young Frankenstein) and Tim Brooke-Taylor (How to irritate people, The Goodies):

http://youtube.com/ damn, failure, WILL ADD EXACT LINK VERY SOON

For various Amnesty fundraisings between 1977 and 1991, John Cleese often recycled one or two sketches from either the 1948 show; such as Book shop, Bee keeping, and the beforementioned 4 yorkshiremen. But Marty Feldman and Tim Brooke-Taylor were always credited for co-writing on the latter.

Monty Python sketches were of course also performed for these shows: such as the little-known Second Parrot Sketch.

There is more material that did not appear in the TV series or the movies, for example "the Philosopher's Song", or "I like Chinese".
In their record career also, Monty Python sometimes re-used pre-python material like the campaign to sell short pieces of string, or the memory training course.

Last edited by 5piny n0rman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm 
Major Looney

Infernal Duckling wrote:
And, honestly, don't bother asking Dutch television channels to broadcast Monty Python; they don't even consider NEW British Comedy, like the excellent Coupling or Green Wing, to be worth it for more than 3 episodes... From then it's all back to "Keeping up Appearances" for the millionth time :roll: It's really, really sad. There better at this sort of thing in the Netherlands. I've thought about moving there, but there's a hell of a lot of water on that side, and our Royal family is much more fun to look at :twisted: .

Well, I hope we've sorted things out, so I can go posting happily ever after on this forum, mainly browsing for more MP material :D .

Oh, 5piny n0rman: als gij dan toch zo goed Nederlands kunt hoef ik me feitelijk nie eens bezig te houden die onnozele Engelse spelling. Een taal die niemeer veranderd is sinds de tijd van Otto de Harige, geen enkel woord dat wordt uitgesproken zoals ge't schrijft... is da om de buitenlanders een beetje de nek om te draaien? Neem nu het Nederlands: uitgeverijen verdienen elk half jaar een fortuin aan de herziene nieuwe woordenboeken! Talk about evolution! You silly English Knnniggets!

Well, I figured anyone who saw it would know how and when but this was a matter of coincidence.

Net 5 had enkele jaren geleden een Monty Python-fase; Veronica heeft Blackadder uitgezonden, en Red Dwarf; Nederland 3 had The Office (niet mijn favoriet) en Little Brittain, en België 2 heeft (of had) Blackadder, Black Books, Smack the pony, Little Brittain en Help. Het Klokhuis kijk ik nu niet meer, maar achteraf besef ik hoezeer dat wel niet beinvloed moet zijn door Monty Python. Denk maar aan al die personages die als dames verkleed waren.
Nederlandse televisie? Waar woon je nu eigenlijk, in Nederland of in België?
Trouwens de films zijn het enige van monty python dat in Nederland is uitgebracht.

Infernal Duckling wrote:
By the way, personally I prefer python sketches above films (partly because I think they're more "pure" if you know what I mean, and partly because, well, I know their films by heart by now), but it's very hard over here to get your hands on (early or pre-) python material (I've desperately tried to find the "And now for something completaly different"- stuff the MP biography is on about... without succes so far ) !

ANFSCD is a movie compiled from Flying Circus sketches (re-shot but almost identical). The (other) three movies (THG, LoB en MoL) have all original stories.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:14 pm 
Starting Loony

In het schone België, beste Noorman! Canvas vindt het blijkbaar lollig om de échte goeie Britse comedy op onmenselijk late uren uit te zenden, en aangezien ik vijf jaar geleden 's morgens nog vroeg op moest voor school, was dat - zeker in de ogen van m'n ouders - niet bepaald aangewezen. De films heb ik van ARTE moeten plukken, en 't flying circus laat zich al helemáál niet zien op onze kanalen. Neem daar nog even bij dat ik een vrij recente python fan ben... nee, 't zit me verzamel-gewijs écht niet mee ;-)

Right, so now it's 2.09 local time, I've to get up REALLY early in the morning and was hoping to get an early night. That was before taking into account that by midnight I would get totally addicted to these python films on that 'you tube' site... so thank you very much Gambolputty, you've completaly ruined a good night sleep, but you certainly made my day! :p

See you around, everyone!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:15 am 
Major Looney

5piny n0rman wrote:
"At last the 1948 show" (1966) - The Original Four Yorkshiremen Sketch featuring John Cleese (MP), Graham Chapman (MP), Marty Feldman (Young Frankenstein) and Tim Brooke-Taylor (How to irritate people, The Goodies):

http://youtube.com/ damn, failure, WILL ADD EXACT LINK VERY SOON

Ah, here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TzLZpeKTUHs

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons