Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:05 pm 
Amazing Looney

Harry Snapper-Organs wrote:
Then again, there are people who think the second series is the best one - go figure...

well everyone has a differnt sense of humour. Ive noticed while watching Monty Python with my dad, some parts I'll be in hysterics meanwhile he isnt laughing, some parts we'll both be in hysterics, and some parts I dont laugh while he does. And my mum just doesnt laugh at all :cry:

I would say the first series is the best, second and third series both equally next, and I thought the fourth series was still funny... just not hilarious. Like the other series-es are.
But then again i still aint seen volumes 7 and 8 cause the stupid video place are missing those!

anyway i thought the spanish inquisition was in the first series...... :?

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:41 am 
Looney Elite

the reading of your suggestion struck me down in the very depths of my soul....

so i went to cardinal fang's site and looked at the episode guide.

the spanish inquisition is in series 2, episode 2, aka episode 15 total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:04 am 
Senior Looney

The Spanish Inquisition is funny, don't get me wrong, and I think the episode in general is funny - just not as funny on the whole as series 1.

Obviously some of the best sketches are in series 2 - Ministry of Silly Walks, Spam - but I just meant that in general it's not quite as consistently brilliant.

Maybe the problem is that, once you've established such a high standard, anything that isn't quite as great is a disappointment. If we'd seen series 2 first, we'd probably have been amazed by it. It's as if you saw The Meaning of Life without seeing the previous two films.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:00 pm 
Amazing Looney

I saw the meaning of life without having seen any python before....

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:46 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
I have to agree - I think the second series was some of the funniest stuff. I think they slipped (a little) towards the end after John Cleese didn't appear in the last lot of tv shows.

They were still funny, but I think some of the edge went with him. Maybe they were realising it was almost the end of the line for Python. I think everyone just needed a rest from each other.

It's like the movies - Holy Grail and Life Of Brian were brilliant. By the time they filmed Meaning Of Life, I think it was just an attempt to make a buck or two. I'm not saying it wasn't funny (and there were some really funny bits in it), but I think (like the end of the TV series), their hearts just weren't in it anymore. They were all interested in doing their own thing.

I think now anything to do with the Pythons and them getting back together is instigated by Eric Idle, always an avid Python supporter. He's like the Paul McCartney of Monty Python, always wanting to get them together and do more Python stuff, (Paul being the PR man of The Beatles).

I'm still not sure what I think about all this new stuff they want to get together and do - as a mad Python fan I'm really looking forward to it - but I hope they've got it in them to write some more sketches that were as good as the Python material of old. We'll have to wait and see :)

Long live Pythonmania

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:09 pm 
Amazing Looney

Pythongirl wrote:
I'm still not sure what I think about all this new stuff they want to get together and do - as a mad Python fan I'm really looking forward to it - but I hope they've got it in them to write some more sketches that were as good as the Python material of old. We'll have to wait and see :)

what new stuff?

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!

Long live Pythonmania

Last edited by Pythongirl on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 am 
Senior Looney

They're all supposedly getting back together to do some new stuff for the BBC early next year - they're each going to write a sketch and then they're all going to do one together for Graham. Sounds really cool.

The ABC here has shown interest in it - but I don't think it's even off the ground in Britain yet.

Will be interesting anyway.

Long live Pythonmania

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:15 am 
Senior Looney

Don't ask me what happened with the post above my last one. I've got no idea. :shock:

Long live Pythonmania

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm 
Amazing Looney

Pythongirl wrote:
The ABC here has shown interest in it -

oooh they'd better......

I;m excited now. I suppose if anything develops, this is the place to hear it :lol:

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:47 pm 
Starting Loony

I always find the "Train Times" sketch rather tedious. :roll:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:46 pm 
Amazing Looney

i dont believe ive seen that one

-- Harpo Marx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series