Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: OH MY GOD HE'S SO NICE!!!!
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm 
Major Looney

heeey!!! ok its 2:03am and I can't sleep so i'm on here writing this.

I MET TERRY JONES TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

he is SO totally adorable!!
its official. i'm on cloud nine lol

we (suzie and i ) got there early and thought we'd sit in the front row next to the reserved seats (they were the only 2 seats left in the front row) and we waited for about 10 mins while the lecture theatre was filling up.

Suddenly Suzie poked me really hard and i yelped 'OWW! WHAT!?' and she was making funny faces at me and jerking her eyes over to the right going 'he's here!'

sure enough he was

he's a lot... 'less fat' sounds harsh... um.. 'more trim' in real life than he looks on camera - aaand about 5 foot 8 so he's not all that short either.

He got up on stage and did his talk about 'medieval misconceptions' which was actually really really interesting because it covered a lot of stuff i've been doing at uni so i kinda knew what he was on about.

He's a very animated speaker - he can't keep still for more that five seconds and was bouncing around the stage for well over an hour waving his arms around, cracking jokes, blinding himself with the overhead projector light, doing silly voices and generally being exactly the Terry I'd hoped he'd be.

I was a bit worried initially that he might be one of those uppity historians who drones on and on in a voice that says they'd rather be somewhere else(like most of my lecturers) but he was so sweet, funny AND interesting!

After having had four lots of two hour lectures every Tuesday for the past 6 months and getting used to having the feeling that a whole year had already gone by when in fact only 5 mins had elapsed, it was refreshing to feel completley the reverse with Terry - time really does fly when you're having fun!

He's clearly passionate about the medieval times and his enthusiasm is totally infectious as he gets really excited over the most random things which you wouldn't neccessarily have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out.

He did have a 'question time' but nobody asked anything which was a bit of a shame, and i didn't ask anything because i was too chicken :oops: and didn't actually have anything worth asking about and didn't want to make an eejit out of myself.

He signed books afterwards too and when suzie and i asked if we could have a photo taken with him, he practically leapt out of his chair to oblige bless him.... only my camera decided to be temperamental and not work. he asked if it was 'one of those electric things' (bless him) and when i said 'yes' he laughed and said 'i hate those' so we went off to one side to sort it out and let him get on with his books. he appointed suzie 'the photographer' coz after we asked for a photo, loads of other people wanted one too! lol so they kept handing her their cameras to get her to take the pics - in the end, Terry was saying 'just give your camera to suzannah over there, she's the chief photographer'
finally got my bl**dy camera to work and he stuck around after everyone else left to ask if i'd got my 'wonderful machine to work yet' so we could get a picture with him.

4 things i found out about terry up close:
1) he is really cuddly - he put his arms round us for the pictures and he is just like a big warm human teddy bear
2) he's got really big hands and REALLY long fingers!!! i know that sounds random, but i always thought i've got huge hands and long fingers. My entire shoulder totally vanished into the palm of his hand in my photo!
3) totally random but: he's got hayfever! because suzie and i went to the chaucer exhibition in canterbury (which he hasn't been to yet - shame on him! we told him he had to go) and it smelled funny (read: 'atmospheric'), we asked him what he thought the medieval times would have smelled like ( i know. wtf?!?) he said he imagined 'it would smell pretty much the same as now, only I wouldn't be able to smell anything because i've got hayfever!'
4) he is such a SWEETIE!!! he's jovial, he makes a point of having a five minute chat with EVERYONE - not like some people who magically turn into silent conveyor belts when a book and a pen are shoved at them, he is just so obliging and NICE! not at all up-himself as i feared he might be.
:mrgreen:

ok tiredness has suddenly hit and i'm freezing so i'm going to go to bed now

ps: does anyone know if Terry has a brother about the same age or a little younger like 50+? there was a guy who came with him and sat next to us, and he looked a lot like him too, but thinner! and then left with him. only doubt i have is because he got Terry to sign a book for him, so i dunno.. i was thinking if he WAS Terry's bro, then surely he A) didn't really need a signed copy of a book, and b) could have got one any time... *shrug*

Last edited by polo_tottie on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: OH MY GOD HE'S SO NICE!!!!
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:49 am 
Amazing Looney

omg omg omg omg omg omg you have NO IDEA how jealous I am of you right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x1000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!

awwwwwwwww its not fair! make him come to aus!!!!!!!! :(

sounds like you had an awesome time thanks for sharing with us :o

in the words of Michael in LOB:

"you lucky, lucky, bastard!"

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:55 am 
Junior Looney

thats so awsome! im so happy for you. i SO glad he was nice. you know how some people seem nice but they are just putting it on for the tv? awww, terry sounds really sweet!

congrats dude! Any chance of us having a peek at the photo's?

Congrats again!

pythonfan.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 pm 
Senior Looney

Awesome!!!!!
THats is fantastic!

I am also very very jealous!!!!!

I wish he would come to the US I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:28 am 
can we see the picture? once you get it processed you could always scan it in. or scan it in anyway! wow, i am so glad you had a great time. and i am glad that, depsite his recent display of *ahem* morals, that he is a really nice person. hurrah.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:19 pm 
Major Looney

eek! wow! sudden influx of replies! went back to london for the weekend so didn't have a compy to keep up with you lot! um... should be doing an essay at this precise mo but when i get my life back (hopefully by tues) i'll dig it out and send it - twas on a digicam so i don't have to fuss around with scanning.... bit of a technophobe though -soooo.... how would i be able to stick it on here? also, is there a size restriction, coz its quite big!

there is only 1 photo btw with me Terry and Suzie and its a bit blurry... will have to ask her if she minds me sticking it up with her or if she'd rather be edited out first lol i know - some ppl are funny about stuff like that so i'm just erring on the side of caution by asking her: i have to live with her next year so i don't want any fights! lol

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:19 am 
Amazing Looney

polo_tottie wrote:
... bit of a technophobe though -soooo.... how would i be able to stick it on here? also, is there a size restriction, coz its quite big!

go to www.imageshack.us and follow the instructions. then copy and paste the code in your post.

you can resize it in powerpoint, then right click and *save picture as*

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:52 am 
Major Looney

sweet! cheers! will do that as soon as i have a min!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:59 am 
Amazing Looney

ah, those instructions should have been the other way around.
resize it first :)

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject: hope this works.....
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:00 am 
Major Looney

[img=http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4311/usandterry6cx.th.jpg]

und for ein better view....

http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rry6cx.jpg

i'm the short one (5"3) so you can get an idea of how tall Terry is

also we're both dress size uk 10 so you can get an idea of how... um... cuddly he is... he's really not very fat! cameras are cruel

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:13 am 
Amazing Looney

awwwwwwwwww!

I shouldnt have looked at that. Only makes me more jealous!!!

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:23 pm 
Major Looney

awwe sorry :S i love your pics of eric btw! he's such a cutie!!!

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons