Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post subject: Life of Brian / lack of background knowledge
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 am 
Senior Looney

When I think about it, I am very weak on the history of Christianity. I've come to realize that I lack some of the most common religion knowledge, am I afraid. I lost the interest somewhere back in time. Now I'm suffering from that.

Is there anything in particular - very specifically - which I should read in order to get a better experience when watching Life of Brian?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:39 am 
Major Looney

the bible!?
ooh! ooh! i know! watch the passion of the christ!!! i've never seen it myself but it's supposed to be pretty accurate...
um.... if you go into the kiddie's education section of waterstones or something there's bound to be a condensed version of the bible and basic related literature/history books somewhere... i'm assuming you're not wanting majorly 'deep' and heavy stuff to trawl through...
ovid is pretty good too - i dunno how old you are, but i'd say if you are under 17 it may be a bit tough (the verse version anyway) i'm doing mythology for one of my courses at uni- i'm nearly 20 and i'm finding it heavy going!!! so... yeah. i'd say get the idiots guide to ovid. lol - i'm still looking for a copy myself! lol although he writes myths, he was a greek wrtiting at the time the romans took over so if you do some research on him, you might be able to find some reflections of the attitudes around regarding the romans and christianity etc at the time of the roman occupancy...
um.... will have a proper think about it later on today and try to get back to you on that.. right now i have a 2000 word essay to finish in half an hour :cry:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:19 am 
Senior Looney

It's sad, but I'm 20... and a half. Well, thank you for your suggestions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 pm 
I can't believe this post has been here since the start of Feb 06 and there's been only a single response. This highlights what I've been saying in the other threads about serious discussions on a comedy site.

As for the original poster, maybe you do need to read the bible if you want to understand the film deeper than just the funny lines and slapstick. There's a lot of social and political culture in there too. Latin for instance where GC paints grafitti on the wall and is caught by the guard (JC) who makes him correct the grammar like he's in the classroom and JC is the teacher.

There's the role of the woman, the dissident factions of the same religion, the politics of the local government, the positive side of the roman occupation (education, wine, roads etc). I could go on, but I'm going to bed.

Night John boy.

Night Mr Gobbler.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:55 am 
Major Looney

Stoat_Gobbler wrote:
There's a lot of social and political culture in there too. Latin for instance where GC paints grafitti on the wall and is caught by the guard (JC) who makes him correct the grammar like he's in the classroom and JC is the teacher.

Actually, I think most people got that part.

Tell you what. Skip the Old Testament except for the part about stoning people. If you want to have an easy, but also intelligent stroll trough the bile try:

http://www.thebricktestament.com/

It's a magnificent site, both funny and informative.
NOTE. The old testament is a wee bit violent from time to time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:22 am 
5piny n0rman wrote:
Stoat_Gobbler wrote:
There's a lot of social and political culture in there too. Latin for instance where GC paints grafitti on the wall and is caught by the guard (JC) who makes him correct the grammar like he's in the classroom and JC is the teacher.

Actually, I think most people got that part. [quote]

Really. Did you conducted a Poll on this topic previously?

O tempora! O mores! Hic puer est stultissimus omnium! ;-)

As for http://www.thebricktestament.com/ it would seem that you're easliy please if you consider that site "magnificent". No wonder you have a problem with my posts.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:12 am 
Major Looney

Stoat_Gobbler wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:
Stoat_Gobbler wrote:

Actually, I think most people got that part.
Quote:

Really. Did you conducted a Poll on this topic previously?

O tempora! O mores! Hic puer est stultissimus omnium! ;-)

As for http://www.thebricktestament.com/ it would seem that you're easliy please if you consider that site "magnificent". No wonder you have a problem with my posts.

For me something that is informative and creative and also very funny qualifies as magnificent. And if that wasn't enough there is also lots of sex and violence in the old testament. What more could you want?

Shall we conduct a poll? In order for you to actually see the result you should try not to get banned meanwhile.

So you try to insult me in Latin. Should I say, "'ei sapros"?.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:27 pm 
Quote:
Shall we conduct a poll? In order for you to actually see the result you should try not to get banned meanwhile.

So you try to insult me in Latin. Should I say, "'ei sapros"?.

Feel free to conduct a poll. I asked did you already do it to qualify your inital stament - which is obviously a resounding NO.

Say whatever you like. It's not likely to start WW3 is it calling someone rotten? LOL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:38 pm 
Average Looney

First of all: polo, FORGET what you saw with The passion of Christ (you mean the movie, I suppose). It's very partial, not well done and uhm.. almost splatter :? ! The Bible doesn't say "Jesus was covered in blood" in every page!
I didn't like that movie at all. I had a catholic education and I remember well what I learned, even if I am not an observant anymore. (If I ever was!!!! I was obliged to have this education!)

Than, The Brick Testament is quite funny but not that informative! :P Maybe is not exactly the right source to understand what the Bible says...

Now, what I think... well it's very difficult to express what I want to say but I'll try.
Quote:
There's the role of the woman, the dissident factions of the same religion, the politics of the local government, the positive side of the roman occupation (education, wine, roads etc).

I think that more than dealing with the Romans and things like that (so the background),the Pythons wanted to show how much continuity there is between a so cruel past, whene there were ignorant people, ready to believe to everything and everyone, and the present, when this kind of things still goes on!

NOTHING has really got better after centuries. In a lot of parts of the world the situation is quite the same!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:10 pm 
Major Looney

Quote:
FORGET what you saw with The passion of Christ (you mean the movie, I suppose). It's very partial, not well done and uhm.. almost splatter ! The Bible doesn't say "Jesus was covered in blood"

lol no worries! I didn't see it - didn't particularly want to see someone nailed to a cross with all the gory details *looking ill*

Totally agree with what you say about the pythons wanting to show the continuity though! well put!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:52 am 
Starting Loony

Religious people tried to stop the "Life of Brian" movie from come to Norway. They made it, and the movie was banned, because it was to funny. :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:58 am 
Senior Looney

Short wrote:
Religious people tried to stop the "Life of Brian" movie from come to Norway. They made it, and the movie was banned, because it was to funny. :lol:

:shock: :? :shock: :?:
what !!! are you serious ? I didn´t know that.. you see, I live in Norway too...Have never heard of that..wow..great it isn´t banned anymore then...
Stupid norwegians !!
:lol: :!:

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films