Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 pm 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 pm
Posts: 654
Location: England
GOOFS

What goofs have you guys managed to spot?

LIFE OF BRIAN
in the crucifiction scene, there's a guy in a modern suit strolling along behind the crosses


HOLY GRAIL:
One of the french knights who come out of the castle to get the rabbit has a hole in his tights! hehe

and in the scene where Sir Launcelot is swinging from the cieling to get out of Swamp Castle one of the "dead" waves at the camera.

TRIVIA

HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)


During production, the boys became increasingly irritated by the press, who seemed to always ask the same questions, such as "What will your next project be?" (what's changed?) One day, Eric Idle flippantly answered, "Jesus Christ's Lust For Glory". Having discovered that this answer quickly shut up reporters, they adopted it as their stock answer. After production completed, they did some serious thinking about it, and realized that while satirizing Christ himself was out of the question, they could create a parody of first-century life which turned out to be Life of Brian.

Elton John and his buddies loved python - they'd get stoned and run around doing impressions of the nights of Ni!

LIFE OF BRIAN
When Mike (as pilate) was daring the soldiers to laugh, he was actually daring them. The soldier extras were ordered by the Pythons to stand there and not laugh but weren't told what mike was going to do.

Eric recorded 'always look on the bright side of life' (the actual one used on the film) in a hotel room with matresses pushed up against the walls!!!

George Harrison funded it after EMI dropped out because he was worried that he wouldn't get to see another python film!

AND NOW FOR SOMETING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
When Terry Gilliam asked British animation legend Bob Godfrey if he could use his camera to recreate his animated sequences for the movie, Godfrey didn't know who Gilliam was and told him to "bugger off". Later, Godfrey found out that Gilliam was a member of the Monty Python team and helped him complete the sequences for the movie.

_________________
ooh look, an art critic.
ImageImage


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:15 pm 
magic sophie has loads of these. i shall ask her for some. and then post them on here pronto. x


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:44 pm 
Offline
Senior Looney
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:13 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Ingar
There's a goof in The Rutles' All you need is cash' Continuity: While the Rutles are on stage playing "Between Us", Stig's guitar changes from an acoustic to an electric, and then quickly changes back.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:07 pm 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:02 am
Posts: 710
polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)


Sorry, how does that work?

_________________
This is nøt å signåture.™
Petition for Graham's last work
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:02 am
Posts: 710
Ray Ray wrote:
magic sophie has loads of these. i shall ask her for some. and then post them on here pronto. x


Who is she? Oh yes, the one with that weird site.
Actually I am working on an annotated Python guide myself... it's just that there's soo much to do that I am not really making a lot of progress.

_________________
This is nøt å signåture.™
Petition for Graham's last work
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:52 pm 
Offline
Looney Elite

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:46 pm
Posts: 5458
Quote:
Sorry, how does that work?


cats and witches were somehow connected. i think cats were thought to be servants of the devil or something like that.

_________________
So just shut your face, and take a seat
Cause after all, you're just talking meat


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:05 pm 
Offline
Amazing Looney
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 am
Posts: 2369
Location: Aussie
I thought i had already posted on this topic.
obviously it didnt work.

Quote:

LIFE OF BRIAN
in the crucifiction scene, there's a guy in a modern suit strolling along behind the crosses

.


can someone PLEASE tell me where this guy is because I have looked for him so many times and cant find him.


Oh and this one i got from www.eric-idle.com
in holy grail, when eric (as brother maynard) is reading out the last words of joseph of aramethea, his eyes go left to right. If he was really reading aramegue (sp?) his eyes would be going right to left.

_________________
If everything gets too much for you, and you feel the whole world is against you, go and stand on your head. If you can think of anything crazier to do, do it.

-- Harpo Marx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:28 am 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 pm
Posts: 654
Location: England
5piny n0rman wrote:
polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)


Sorry, how does that work?


in the 'bring out yer dead' scene, there is somebody swinging a cat against a wall, and also when Arthur and Bedevere go to see the old woman about a shrubbery, the old woman is hitting a black cat against a wall - black cats are a symbol of bad luck, and the devil and were also the familiars of witches. In witch trials, just owning a cat was often enough 'evidence' of satanic association and witchcraft for the supposed witch to be hung/burnt/drowned/got rid of (etc etc)...
so i'm guessing if you had a cat - especially a black one; you wouldn't want it to stick around for long incase you were accused of being a witch!
(i think the cat in the first 2 scenes i mentioned were black.... there was one the knights trod on in camelot, but i don't think that's anti-witch - i think that was just it getting in the way lol)

fogchicken - keep your eyes peeled on the bottom right hand corner of the screen! when the camera pans down along the row of crosses, you'll see him - i can't remember *exactly* when you see him, but i promise you do! My parents have taken all my DVDs home with them because i'm moving out of my uni house next week, so i can't get a screen capture of it for you, but i'll try to remember to do it when i get back (if you haven't already spotted him by then)

I read somewhere that when Mandy is buying rocks and gravel for stoning Matthias, you can see the shadow of the boom (the furry microphone thing), but i can't see it personally.

_________________
ooh look, an art critic.
ImageImage


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:08 pm 
Offline
Senior Looney
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:13 pm
Posts: 445
Location: Ingar
there's a few mentioned here..
The Meaning of Life

Life of Brian

The Holy Grail

Monty Python's Flying Circus


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:30 pm 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 pm
Posts: 654
Location: England
ooh nice one! well done you! i'm going to have to check those out when i get home!!!

_________________
ooh look, an art critic.
ImageImage


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:03 am 
Offline
Amazing Looney
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 am
Posts: 2369
Location: Aussie
oooh. I like that site. Im going to check these later too lol.

I actually found this one and forgot about it:
Quote:
Revealing: In the Upper Class Twit of the Year Show, there are five contestants. However, after Oliver runs himself over, in the events that follow there are only four props for the remaining twits (four mannequins, rabbits, and guns); since Oliver's death was unforeseen, shouldn't there be five of each? (This mistake, by the way, is rectified in the film version of this sketch).

_________________
If everything gets too much for you, and you feel the whole world is against you, go and stand on your head. If you can think of anything crazier to do, do it.

-- Harpo Marx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 am 
Offline
Major Looney
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:02 am
Posts: 710
polo_tottie wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:
polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)


Sorry, how does that work?


in the 'bring out yer dead' scene, there is somebody swinging a cat against a wall, and also when Arthur and Bedevere go to see the old woman about a shrubbery, the old woman is hitting a black cat against a wall - black cats are a symbol of bad luck, and the devil and were also the familiars of witches. In witch trials, just owning a cat was often enough 'evidence' of satanic association and witchcraft for the supposed witch to be hung/burnt/drowned/got rid of (etc etc)...
so i'm guessing if you had a cat - especially a black one; you wouldn't want it to stick around for long incase you were accused of being a witch!
(i think the cat in the first 2 scenes i mentioned were black.... there was one the knights trod on in camelot, but i don't think that's anti-witch - i think that was just it getting in the way lol)

I don't know if that is true. Of course witches were supposed to have evil creatures known as familiars, but that did not have to be a cat. There is this place in Belgium where they had a ceremony for killing evil cats by throwing them off a tower, but I don't think there was a lasting, permanent prejudice against cats. Who would hunt the mice then?

_________________
This is nøt å signåture.™
Petition for Graham's last work
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron