Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 pm 
Major Looney

GOOFS

What goofs have you guys managed to spot?

LIFE OF BRIAN
in the crucifiction scene, there's a guy in a modern suit strolling along behind the crosses

HOLY GRAIL:
One of the french knights who come out of the castle to get the rabbit has a hole in his tights! hehe

and in the scene where Sir Launcelot is swinging from the cieling to get out of Swamp Castle one of the "dead" waves at the camera.

TRIVIA

HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)

During production, the boys became increasingly irritated by the press, who seemed to always ask the same questions, such as "What will your next project be?" (what's changed?) One day, Eric Idle flippantly answered, "Jesus Christ's Lust For Glory". Having discovered that this answer quickly shut up reporters, they adopted it as their stock answer. After production completed, they did some serious thinking about it, and realized that while satirizing Christ himself was out of the question, they could create a parody of first-century life which turned out to be Life of Brian.

Elton John and his buddies loved python - they'd get stoned and run around doing impressions of the nights of Ni!

LIFE OF BRIAN
When Mike (as pilate) was daring the soldiers to laugh, he was actually daring them. The soldier extras were ordered by the Pythons to stand there and not laugh but weren't told what mike was going to do.

Eric recorded 'always look on the bright side of life' (the actual one used on the film) in a hotel room with matresses pushed up against the walls!!!

George Harrison funded it after EMI dropped out because he was worried that he wouldn't get to see another python film!

AND NOW FOR SOMETING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
When Terry Gilliam asked British animation legend Bob Godfrey if he could use his camera to recreate his animated sequences for the movie, Godfrey didn't know who Gilliam was and told him to "bugger off". Later, Godfrey found out that Gilliam was a member of the Monty Python team and helped him complete the sequences for the movie.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:15 pm 
magic sophie has loads of these. i shall ask her for some. and then post them on here pronto. x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:44 pm 
Senior Looney

There's a goof in The Rutles' All you need is cash' Continuity: While the Rutles are on stage playing "Between Us", Stig's guitar changes from an acoustic to an electric, and then quickly changes back.

Post subject: Re: Goofs and random trivia
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:07 pm 
Major Looney

polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL
The cat abuse in the Holy Grail could be references to the anti-witch sentiment around that time (my humble opinion - don't know if it is right/true or not)

Sorry, how does that work?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
Major Looney

Ray Ray wrote:
magic sophie has loads of these. i shall ask her for some. and then post them on here pronto. x

Who is she? Oh yes, the one with that weird site.
Actually I am working on an annotated Python guide myself... it's just that there's soo much to do that I am not really making a lot of progress.

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:52 pm 
Looney Elite

Quote:

cats and witches were somehow connected. i think cats were thought to be servants of the devil or something like that.

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:05 pm 
Amazing Looney

I thought i had already posted on this topic.
obviously it didnt work.

Quote:

LIFE OF BRIAN
in the crucifiction scene, there's a guy in a modern suit strolling along behind the crosses

can someone PLEASE tell me where this guy is because I have looked for him so many times and cant find him.

Oh and this one i got from www.eric-idle.com
in holy grail, when eric (as brother maynard) is reading out the last words of joseph of aramethea, his eyes go left to right. If he was really reading aramegue (sp?) his eyes would be going right to left.

-- Harpo Marx

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:28 am 
Major Looney

5piny n0rman wrote:
polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL

in the 'bring out yer dead' scene, there is somebody swinging a cat against a wall, and also when Arthur and Bedevere go to see the old woman about a shrubbery, the old woman is hitting a black cat against a wall - black cats are a symbol of bad luck, and the devil and were also the familiars of witches. In witch trials, just owning a cat was often enough 'evidence' of satanic association and witchcraft for the supposed witch to be hung/burnt/drowned/got rid of (etc etc)...
so i'm guessing if you had a cat - especially a black one; you wouldn't want it to stick around for long incase you were accused of being a witch!
(i think the cat in the first 2 scenes i mentioned were black.... there was one the knights trod on in camelot, but i don't think that's anti-witch - i think that was just it getting in the way lol)

fogchicken - keep your eyes peeled on the bottom right hand corner of the screen! when the camera pans down along the row of crosses, you'll see him - i can't remember *exactly* when you see him, but i promise you do! My parents have taken all my DVDs home with them because i'm moving out of my uni house next week, so i can't get a screen capture of it for you, but i'll try to remember to do it when i get back (if you haven't already spotted him by then)

I read somewhere that when Mandy is buying rocks and gravel for stoning Matthias, you can see the shadow of the boom (the furry microphone thing), but i can't see it personally.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:08 pm 
Senior Looney

there's a few mentioned here..
The Meaning of Life

Life of Brian

The Holy Grail

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:30 pm 
Major Looney

ooh nice one! well done you! i'm going to have to check those out when i get home!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:03 am 
Amazing Looney

oooh. I like that site. Im going to check these later too lol.

I actually found this one and forgot about it:
Quote:
Revealing: In the Upper Class Twit of the Year Show, there are five contestants. However, after Oliver runs himself over, in the events that follow there are only four props for the remaining twits (four mannequins, rabbits, and guns); since Oliver's death was unforeseen, shouldn't there be five of each? (This mistake, by the way, is rectified in the film version of this sketch).

-- Harpo Marx

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:06 am 
Major Looney

polo_tottie wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:
polo_tottie wrote:
HOLY GRAIL

in the 'bring out yer dead' scene, there is somebody swinging a cat against a wall, and also when Arthur and Bedevere go to see the old woman about a shrubbery, the old woman is hitting a black cat against a wall - black cats are a symbol of bad luck, and the devil and were also the familiars of witches. In witch trials, just owning a cat was often enough 'evidence' of satanic association and witchcraft for the supposed witch to be hung/burnt/drowned/got rid of (etc etc)...
so i'm guessing if you had a cat - especially a black one; you wouldn't want it to stick around for long incase you were accused of being a witch!
(i think the cat in the first 2 scenes i mentioned were black.... there was one the knights trod on in camelot, but i don't think that's anti-witch - i think that was just it getting in the way lol)

I don't know if that is true. Of course witches were supposed to have evil creatures known as familiars, but that did not have to be a cat. There is this place in Belgium where they had a ceremony for killing evil cats by throwing them off a tower, but I don't think there was a lasting, permanent prejudice against cats. Who would hunt the mice then?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films