Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Do you think Eric biting his scythe to stop himself laughing in Holy Grail should be counted as a blooper/goof?
yes 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
no 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 17

Post subject: Holy grail, eric biting scythe POLL
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:39 pm 
Amazing Looney

Most of you will be aware that during the witch scene in holy grail, eric has to bite his scythe at one point to stop himself from laughing.

Some people say this doesnt count as a blooper/goof becuase they didnt notice it untill they were told.

have your say!

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:05 am 
Major Looney

Nice idea, with one small comment: your description of this poll is biased. You're making it appear as if it is there, but some people including myself simply did not notice it, just as you might not notice other movie mistakes.
But my point is, this villager biting his scythe while thinking very hard is just one of many weird people in the movie. That Eric in reality did it because he was trying not to laugh is an anecdote or trivia or something like that.
Now, let's poll!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:49 am 
Amazing Looney

sorry if it sounded biased - what i meant by the whole not noticing thing was what you just said. guess i didnt explain it quite as well.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:05 am 
Admin Overlord

Shall I clarify the issue.

Eric's Peasant biting the sythe.

If you think he did it deliberately to give the character some wierdness: vote no.

If you think he did it to stop cracking up: vote yes.

We will assume that now this issue has become a discussion item, many people have gone back and watched that scene again (including myself).

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:14 am 
Senior Looney

No, you don't notice it until you hear the story.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:29 am 
Major Looney

Cardinal Fang wrote:
If you think he did it deliberately to give the character some wierdness: vote no.
If you think he did it to stop cracking up: vote yes.
CF

No, that's not it. No-one claimed it was a deliberate move. But if you can't see that he is laughing, you can't know it is a mistake, until someone starts the anecdote.

Perhaps someone could post a video on youtube featuring the relevant five seconds? I would do it myself, but my youtube account has been deleted (farewell to blackadder bloopers, monty python lost satan animation, Life of Brian deleted scenes).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:12 am 
Starting Loony

5piny n0rman wrote:
No, that's not it. No-one claimed it was a deliberate move. But if you can't see that he is laughing, you can't know it is a mistake, until someone starts the anecdote.

So are you saying that because you didn't spot it that no one else can interpret it? Why can't you see that he's laughing? You missed something. Get over yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:59 am 
Major Looney

Adena wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:

So are you saying that because you didn't spot it that no one else can interpret it? Why can't you see that he's laughing? You missed something. Get over yourself.

You are very quick to blame this on me. So far this was a discussion wether or not this was a mistake, not a personal debate. To attack someone's person is generally a sign of weakness and lack of proper arguments.
Now, you are welcome to post a picture of Eric, in that scene, visibly smiling. In that case you would be right.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:11 pm 
Amazing Looney

youtube
all 3 look amused :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:15 pm 
Senior Looney

I just wanted to post a screenshot too, but really, I don't see a goof in it.

From moviemistakes.com:

At the witch's trial, during the long pause while they are thinking of something that also floats in water (a duck), Eric Idle is desperately trying not to laugh - he even goes as far as biting the top of his sythe to cover his giggles. This is mentioned in the commentary on the DVD and once you've noticed it, you won't be able to watch the scene again without your eyes glued to poor Mr Idle. [He might have been trying to hide laughter, but he did such a good job of it as to be unnoticable unless you already knew. He never breaks character, and the scythe-biting can simply be interpreted as his dim-witted character trying hard to think.]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:54 pm 
Major Looney

It's probably all caused by the fact that WE are laughing, so that makes it very hard to imagine the pythons themselves NOT laughing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:35 pm 
Looney Elite

i've personally always noticed the scythe(sp?)-biting, but never thought of it as laughter cover until i read the aforementioned "anecdote".

nonetheless, based on the tidbit about them mentioning it in the commentary, i'm not going to vote, as it seems unclear what the heck he was doing.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films