Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think Eric biting his scythe to stop himself laughing in Holy Grail should be counted as a blooper/goof?
yes 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
no 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 17

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:35 pm 
Amazing Looney

Dennis wrote:
i

nonetheless, based on the tidbit about them mentioning it in the commentary, i'm not going to vote, as it seems unclear what the heck he was doing.

It's very clear as to what he was doing. He bit the scythe in order to stop himself cracking up. But because not many people notice it without being told the anecdote behined it, either via someone else or the commentary on the dvd, there is debate as to whether this actually should count as a goof/blooper.

some people seem to be misunderstanding the question at hand. We all know he bit the scythe to stop from laughing. But because his efforts worked, does it count as a blooper.

Adena, that was a little harsh. I dont think anybody could see he did that to stop laughing without being told first. But I'll shut up now as this thread was not meant to get personal over something so trivial.

But here's my reasoning behined my vote for yes, it should count as a blooper: there are many other laughing goofs in python, stated in the blooper thread. Many of us didnt notice some of these until we were told by someone else. Then we go back, watch the scene, and see yes, one of the pythons *is* actually laughing there, or about to.

The only difference between that and the scythe-biting, is that *nobody* (or almost nobody) noticed it untill they heard it on the commentary or somebody else told them. Because Eric hides his laughter so well. Yet, its there.

Spiny Norman, I can definately see your point. That because Eric is successful in containing his laughter, so nobody would notice unless the heard the anecdote, it shouldnt count as a blooper.

so far votes are tied :?

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:07 am 
Major Looney

But surely in 1974 they already had years of experience keeping a straight face?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:41 am 
Amazing Looney

5piny n0rman wrote:
But surely in 1974 they already had years of experience keeping a straight face?

who? the pythons? how could people as wonderfully silly as them ever keep a straight face?

hence Mike's laughing in biggus dickus (1979) and eric in the war scene in MOL (1981)

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:45 am 
Major Looney

fogchicken wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:

who? the pythons? how could people as wonderfully silly as them ever keep a straight face?

hence Mike's laughing in biggus dickus (1979) and eric in the war scene in MOL (1981)

Well, Rowan Atkinson keeps the straightest possible face even in his most absurd sketches...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:38 am 
Amazing Looney

5piny n0rman wrote:
fogchicken wrote:
5piny n0rman wrote:

Well, Rowan Atkinson keeps the straightest possible face even in his most absurd sketches...

with all due respect to Mr Atkinson, maybe he's just not quite as much of a looney. Or that maybe he's just a bit better at that sort of thing.

come on people vote!

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:59 am 
Major Looney

Not quite as much of a loony? Have you ever seen "Rowan Atkinson Live"? It's a rare DVD, but I believe there is an abridged version for sale in Australia.
Basically, both sketches where he plays a schoolmaster seem very difficult to me to play without laughing, yet he doesn't.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:26 am 
Major Looney

Now I have taken pictures. Watch closely.

First two pictures: no laughter visible. Only dirty faces thinking very hard.

Now why are they laughing in the last picture? Here's why: they are cheerful because they have just discovered that witches are made of wood.
So you can find pictures of them laughing, but only on purpose and after the scythe-incident.

Sorry to be such a tenacious, stubborn ******* but I just watched the scene on the DVD, pristine quality, on my computer, and I can't find any trace of it. My opinion is that he is hiding it succesfully.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:41 am 
Amazing Looney

5piny n0rman wrote:
My opinion is that he is hiding it succesfully.

I know he's hiding it succesfully.

But in my mind, the fact that it was unintentional and he had to do it to stop from cracking up still justifies it as a blooper/goof.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:27 am 
Major Looney

Ah, like that...
But surely improvising does not count as a blooper. Just because it was unplanned does not make it a mistake.

I would like to list some examples of famous improvisating actors, but I can't think of anything right now. But surely when quite a few people are acting an important scene there will always be little things that are unforseen?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:06 pm 
Senior Looney

The whole Austin Powers movies are 1/2 improvised. It's not my favorite series of films out there, but it counts as a good example. And to fogchicken, if that counts as a goof, the 'Hey...I didn't eat the mousse' line should too. It wasn't planned either...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:01 am 
Amazing Looney

Yannick_Joker wrote:
. And to fogchicken, if that counts as a goof, the 'Hey...I didn't eat the mousse' line should too. It wasn't planned either...

where's this from?

anyway ad-libbing is different.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 am 
Major Looney

fogchicken wrote:
Yannick_Joker wrote:
. And to fogchicken, if that counts as a goof, the 'Hey...I didn't eat the mousse' line should too. It wasn't planned either...

where's this from?

anyway ad-libbing is different.

Surely you know where it is from? Meaning of Life? One of the few good sketches in it? The one with mr. Death?

Is biting a scythe really different from adlibbing? The one is verbal, the other more physical, but I would still count both as clever improvising.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films