Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: Michael Palin : Nicer than Jesus ?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:19 am 
Starting Loony

Location: Wales.(Can't think of anything witty to follow that.)
(Hmm. My first post. Here's to not making a tit of myself.)

According to Marcus Brigstocke of The Late Edition Michael Palin is nicer than Jesus.(They made a nice/evil line to show how evil Kim Jong-il, John McCruic and Kilroy are.)
Does anyone else here have first hand knowlage of this i.e Have you met Michael Palin. (not Jesus.)

Just wondering as a)I have to start somewhere and b) Wouldn't mind knowing if it is possible to be [url]that[/url] nice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:28 am 
Amazing Looney

since jesus doesn't show up (although he said so) i only know michael and prefer him

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:53 pm 
Senior Looney

I wonder who would talk the most at a dinner party?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm 
Major Looney

well Im pretty sure Jesus Isn't the nicest person around. True, he healed people, and sent people to heaven, but ya know, he told the pharisees they'd go to hell. period.

youtube.com/zestysk8er

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:07 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Usually Barcelona (Spain), but I'm in London right now :)
Is Michael nicer than Jesus?

Sure, I bet he is 8) 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:33 am 
well, we know michael exists. and therefore there is proof that he's sooo lovely. in the flesh.

no one can prove jesus exists/existed, as many atheists would like to point out. its all about belief and not about fact.

so therefore... umm..... where was i?

i vote michael. but when i meet jesus, i hold judgement on my vote. and may change it, if necessary...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:22 am 
Major Looney

Ray Ray wrote:
well, we know michael exists. and therefore there is proof that he's sooo lovely. in the flesh.

no one can prove jesus exists/existed, as many atheists would like to point out. its all about belief and not about fact.

i vote michael. but when i meet jesus, i hold judgement on my vote. and may change it, if necessary...

It's been proved that jesus existed. he is a historical figure but nobody can prove his all mirucles.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Amazing Looney

did jesus send graham to hell because he was gay? i don't know.
would michael do so? definately not.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:44 pm 
Looney Elite

iwona wrote:
Ray Ray wrote:

It's been proved that jesus existed. he is a historical figure but nobody can prove his all mirucles.

yeah, there's plenty of evidence that Jesus existed. it's the whole messiah thing that's dependent on faith...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:21 pm 
Senior Looney

But there is much more proof that michael existed!

Is there a video of Jesus?

"But we must remember that art is art. On the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west. And if you stew cranberries like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:20 pm 
Major Looney

oh gosh *sensitive topic* this is gonna turn into a flame war, I can see it.

But to answer you hypothetical question, is there a video of plato? or alexander the great? or Homer? No, there is only their works and physical evidence to back up the assumption that they all existed. But often it is said that Jesus did not exist because there is no physical evidence(like the shroud of turin, which is a fake), but how many linen robes survive 2000 years?

If lack of physical evidence constitutes nonexistence, what about Homer? We know he existed because of his writings, just as we know Jesus (or someone who claimed to be him) existed because someone had to write what was written.

Now to prove the authenticity of Jesus. It cannot be proved for certain, so there is always room for doubt. But there is a huge amount of evidence for his divinity alone, more than even the authenticity of Herodatus' manuscript, which is universally accepted as a valid source.

First, there are manuscripts in agreeance with the fulfillment of his prophecies and eyewitnesses of his miracles, among these, the writings of Josephus about the destruction of the temple, The 4 gospels and Acts, as well as many other Athiest manuscripts of the time. The Authenticity of none of these manuscripts are doubted, due to the presence of such writings as the dead sea scrolls.

Sorry, but I just had to say that as I hold very strongly to the authenticity of Jesus, and I saw a few completely irrelevant arguments that I could not ignore.

youtube.com/zestysk8er

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:51 pm 
Senior Looney

Religion is an incredibly touchy topic that always ends up in someone getting offended. It's best to just leave it, and politics as well, alone and let people believe whatever they want to believe and not turn it into some kind of debate.

Oh and I'm an abid history fan so I feel the need to say this, sorry if it's annoying. We don't actually know if Homer was a real person. He's just the one who's attributed to telling the stories of the Illiad and the Odyssy but I don't believe they were actually written down until long after he died. So we may be giving the credit for these stories to someone who doesn't deserve it.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons