Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:43 pm 
Senior Looney

Kiri_84 wrote:
Johnny wrote:
I've watched the movie in Spanish and it doesn't make me laugh half as much as the original English one. It just doesn't work for me...and the scene of Pilates loses all the magic and fun, they say "Pijus Magnificus" instead of Biggus Dickus(no way the same), for example, and sure the voices are not as funny as Pytjons'.

Agree 100% :shock: :shock: (the same with Holy Grail and Meaning of Life)

Even my parents prefered to watch the movie in English....they didn't even laugh a bit in Spanish, but they loved it in English.
That's so true, Holy grail in particular is just not funny at all in Spanish, it goes completely dull. In English, a gem :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:18 pm 
Amazing Looney

dubbing is sooo .... uergh!
even worse: the name of the movie. i don't dare to say what is the german name of MP and the holy grail. it's: the knights of the coconut.... isn't that embarrasing? :cry:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:49 pm 
Looney Elite

may be embarrassing, but it makes some sense.

whole coconut thing you know....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:47 pm 
Amazing Looney

sure it makes sense but it sounds ridiculous. it's not silly but pure nonsense :wink: (and it ruins the whole coconut-gag of this film)

i want to use this post for a H U G E apology to Laurel & Hardy: Dear Stan, dear Olly, i feel so sorry for what the germans have done to you calling you 'Dick und Doof' (thick and stupid). i hate it, i hate it .... so sorry :x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:50 pm 
Major Looney

'The knights of the coconut'?? OMG! In polish is just "holy grail' in polish... But I won't tell you what they've done with film "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"! Or I will... they've translated it into "Enamoured without memory" in polish is kind of idiom, which means that somebody has fallen in love and he loves so much that he lost his mind. It's so stupid title! I thought that it's a stupid romantic comedy so I didin't go to a cinema to watch it, but I watched it at home and it was great! Nothing with this title!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:26 am 
Hot Hungarian

Holy Grail is very nice in hungarian, it's called Gyalog-galopp wich means: Riding by foot :)
quite telling words, aren't they :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:10 am 
Senior Looney

Wow, I'm relieved to know that they don't commit the crimes only in Spain when we're talking about translating titles and dubbing dialogues. :o

Poor Laurel and Hardy indeed. Here they're called "El Gordo y el Flaco"; which literally means the "fat and the skinny". :shock:

And about the titleof Holy Grail, in Spain they went for: "The Knights of the square table" :shock: Isn't that terrible?

They should try to be the most loyal to the original titles, sometimes there's no reason at all for changing so much from the original title. Sometimes they just confuse people.

We were lucky with "Life of Brian" title though, it was translated literally. :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:16 am 
Hot Hungarian

Johnny wrote:

And about the titleof Holy Grail, in Spain they went for: "The Knights of the square table" :shock: Isn't that terrible?

They should try to be the most loyal to the original titles, sometimes there's no reason at all for changing so much from the original title. Sometimes they just confuse people.

We were lucky with "Life of Brian" title though, it was translated literally. :D

Oh god, Knights of the square table? I think that's ridicilous! :twisted:
Yeah Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life is the same I think everywhere...what would be if they for exapmle would heva translated MOL into: Monty Python's Fishes or whatever :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:50 am 
Senior Looney

Shauny wrote:
Oh god, Knights of the square table? I think that's ridicilous! :twisted:
Yeah Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life is the same I think everywhere...what would be if they for exapmle would heva translated MOL into: Monty Python's Fishes or whatever :D

I know, dude, totally ridiculous :cry: . And you should see the translation of the dialogues....it looks like a completely different movie....

Yea, for example: The sperm is here, for MOL :shock: , or Crucifixion for LOB. :shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:43 pm 
Hot Hungarian

oh dear that's really awful :shock:
I don't like even the hungarian subtitles on MPFC
a very loony man brought it to hungary, he also has a cabare wich is called Holló Színház (english: The Crow Theatre) and they are doing nothing but preforming MP sketches translated and dubbed into hungarian, but it's screaming that it's MP!!! Such a shame... I don't like that guy altough he brought MP to Hungary

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:05 pm 
Amazing Looney

maybe he shouldn't use his hungarian phrasebook :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:14 pm 
Hot Hungarian

LOL :D *throws german skull at Gambolputty der von..... Eisenbahnwagen Guten Abend Bitte einen Nürnberger Bratwurstl :D*
Oh almost forgot, I'm having german exams on monday.... :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films