Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: What do you think about SPAMalot?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:56 pm 
Pythonesque

Well, I don´t know how to feel about SPAMalot. I have mixed feelings about that. Sure, it says "Monty Pythons SPAMalot", but is it really? I read an interview somewhere, where Gilliam says, that he isn´t all happy about the musical. And isn´t it weird, that Eric does a musical about a Monty Python film, but he doesn´t want to do another film with his Python-fellas? Mike, Jonesy and Gilliam said, that they are up to a final Python film, but Eric is the only, who doesn´t want it. But why does he put the name "Monty Python" on his musical? To make money out of the name, or because he loves the movie?

I don´t know how to feel about that... :?

Madeleine...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:54 pm 
Amazing Looney

Well spamalot is based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, so its logical to call it monty python's spamalot... or so I would have thought.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:34 am 
Senior Looney

Gilliam said in an interview I have somewhere here that he found it to be Python-like but it doesn't have the spirit of Python. John is the only one of the Pythons to kinda like it and the rest don't really feel like it holds up very well. I'd much rather have a new movie than this SpamAlot. I think, to be honest, it sucks. I've never seen it but would want to but I still think it sucks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:14 am 
Admin Overlord

I've heard mostly positive things from the other Pythons about Spamalot. I personally think it's fantastic and the new stuff Eric wrote for it fits in very well with the spirit of Python. Plus, let's face it, he kept all the best bits of MP and the Holy Grail, so you get all the gems such as "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?".

Eric (and indeed a couple of other Pythons) have said that it wouldn't be a good idea for them to reform to do another Python project because first of all they have all moved on to their own projects, and also that it can look rather sad having a group of oldies coming together to relive the glory days of their youth. Although I don't agree with this sentiment, I understand it. It would be disappointing if they did another movie and it wasn't very good.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:59 am 
Senior Looney

Like all Knights of the Round Table,
I'm happy for the continued success of all things Python,
and the continued irreverence of 37 years is truly marvelous.

That said, I rode all the way from Camelot to London
for a performance, and understand various misgivings
about certain blah-blah-blah yadda-yadda-yadda, so once will be enough.
Extremely silly indeed, and if helps turn a greater number of
otherwise normal people into complete loonies, all the better.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:49 am 
Senior Looney

I think it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. My mate's Dad brought my him, me, and another friend for our Bar-Mitzvah gifts last January. It was two weeks before the original cast was gone :) I think that Tim Curry gave one f the best preformances of his life, and the rest of the cast was incredible. No, this material doesn't have the magic of Flying Circus, but it certainly was worth seeing, and itdoes revoke incredible memories of MP and alot of laughs :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:44 pm 
Junior Looney

i really enjoyed Spamalot, and i went with a few people, some of which don't even like MP, and they laughed all the way through. obviously i think it's better if you are a python fan because there are even some references to the flying circus in it, such as when they talk about the swallows having "beautiful plumage".

However, i know Spamalot is great and very funny but i wish it was the original boys on stage rather than the new actors.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons