Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:44 am 
Senior Looney

No offence, but to me that sounds like the cold war.

I believe in restrictions yes, maybe because here in Belgium you can't just get a gun like that. You need permits and all. Of course there are illegal weapons, but it's also a lot easier this way for the police to compound them.
I don't believe in a weapon culture, call me a pacifist :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:21 am 
Just Plain Amazing

Guns are so overated why doesnt anyone ever have a knife massacre. Anyone can shoot someone, but stabbing 33 people without someone stopping you that would be a true effort.

Please dont view this comment like i dont, I feel sorry for victims familys. I myself am somewhat lucky. Exactly 2 months before the Port Arthur shooting in Tasmania, I was sitting at a table at the cafe, which was shown on the news where victims were sitting.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 am 
Looney Elite

mrgumby4200 wrote:
You must be playing to much Vice City! You sound a bit violent. Don't go off now!!! :)

heh, i've never played any GTA games...

darkandlumpy wrote:
Well, the thing is, criminals are even more likely to get the guns than good people, even though less guns will be in existence. I believe that guns should have no restriction (at least non-WMD lol), because then there would be many more armed good people than criminals whereas now there are more armed criminals that normal people around (including the ones already incarcerated). If everyone had a gun, shootings like this wouldn't happen. People would still die, there is no avoiding that, but criminals would be discouraged from crime (not just shootings) because of a higher likelyhood of death, and there really wouldn't be many more criminals because the mere presence of a gun is not enough to transform a normal person into one. Did that make sense lol?

statistics have shown that in cities/states with more relaxed gun laws, there's actually a lower crime rate than in cities/states with strict regulations, for the reasons d&l pointed out. if you have armed law-abiding citizens, especially if concealed weapons are permitted, it does far more to deter crime than the law. after all, there's nothing that gets a point across like a gun in the face.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 am 
Major Looney

Fen wrote:
No offence, but to me that sounds like the cold war.

Hehe that's an interesting observation. But nobody got killed in the cold war, did they?

phew! thanks Dennis for backing me up. I was afraid I would need to findevidence or something.

youtube.com/zestysk8er

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 am 
Paranoid Android

Gun laws don't enter into crime.
Criminals can get guns anyway...
Though in Europe (where we have strict gun laws) it's rare for a criminal to have a pistol.
There has only been one police-criminal shooting in Greece for as long as I can remember.
And no stick-ups. Never
But the point is not to ban guns. That just makes you wanna buy one.
It's to eliminate the reason for wanting to have a gun.
(Except if one is a hunter, a collector or an enthusiast)
Criminals become criminals because of other reasons, mainly unemployment, poverty and such.

Anyway these are irrelevant.

I was saying before that guns should not be allowed to the general public because the general public tend to use the said guns on all the wrong occasions. Innocent people die and innocent people go to prison.

Stupid.

The guy shooting at the Uni does not fall into the above categories.
He is not a criminal but rather a mass-murderer, and he certaintly is not innocent.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 pm 
Major Looney

That is very true that people always get into trouble if given the opportunity :cry:

youtube.com/zestysk8er

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:53 pm 
Senior Looney

darkandlumpy wrote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:
But what are the odds that no attempt will be made to actually restrict the supply of guns in the first place.

I know there's a whole second amendment thing, so how about requiring a license to buy ammo (and go with Chris Rock's idea - make it REALLY expensive).

Well, the thing is, criminals are even more likely to get the guns than good people, even though less guns will be in existence. I believe that guns should have no restriction (at least non-WMD lol), because then there would be many more armed good people than criminals whereas now there are more armed criminals that normal people around (including the ones already incarcerated). If everyone had a gun, shootings like this wouldn't happen. People would still die, there is no avoiding that, but criminals would be discouraged from crime (not just shootings) because of a higher likelyhood of death, and there really wouldn't be many more criminals because the mere presence of a gun is not enough to transform a normal person into one. Did that make sense lol?

That's exactly my policy on booze (I can't spell al..alch...you know). Here in the states, we have a 21 yr. old drinking age. I think without the restriction, people will be exposed to it more, and therefore won't put it on a pedastal.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:54 pm 
Senior Looney

GOD wrote:
Guns are so overated why doesnt anyone ever have a knife massacre. Anyone can shoot someone, but stabbing 33 people without someone stopping you that would be a true effort.

Please dont view this comment like i dont, I feel sorry for victims familys. I myself am somewhat lucky. Exactly 2 months before the Port Arthur shooting in Tasmania, I was sitting at a table at the cafe, which was shown on the news where victims were sitting.

Don't worry. We all have senses of humor..........s

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:56 am 
Major Looney

alcohol

Yeah that's a hard one to discuss. Obviously too much limitation on alcohol causes overuse (prohibition). But it is hard to say whether too little limitation would have the same effect. I'm leaning toward a law against getting too drunk (maybe .1 percent blood level?) but not against alcohol in general at all. Not that I drink. Just communion wine :P

youtube.com/zestysk8er

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am 
Admin Overlord

Dave128 wrote:
I'm also sure that there is a more appropriate place to discuss this type of tragedy than on a comedy board! :roll:

We don't necessarily limit subjects people can discuss, and as this is one that affects a lot of people and which people need to talk about, I see no reason why it shouldn't.

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 pm 
Senior Looney

darkandlumpy wrote:
alcohol

Yeah that's a hard one to discuss. Obviously too much limitation on alcohol causes overuse (prohibition). But it is hard to say whether too little limitation would have the same effect. I'm leaning toward a law against getting too drunk (maybe .1 percent blood level?) but not against alcohol in general at all. Not that I drink. Just communion wine :P

Well, if there is a drinking age, and then all of a sudden not, then there would be a sudden rush for ALCHOHOL (I'm smart...). But, if it was eased up slowly, then....there would be a sudden rush for alchohol...The only way there wouldn't be is if our country never had a drinking age like most European countries.... :?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:10 pm 
Looney Elite

yes....

*drinking age lifted*

teenagers: "wtf BOOOOOOOOOOOZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*over 50 million people simultaneously rush every liquor store in the country*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current