Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject: Departure of Cleese, affections, Gilliam
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 pm 
Senior Looney

For the last season (as far as I've understood), Cleese left and Gilliam got a more prominent role in the series. How do you think this affected the show?

Cleese is a very popular man, but it would be surprising if Gilliam had nothing to add. As you understand, I have not watched all the episodes, so I haven't got enough information to really compare.

Did anything change drastically? What is your opinion about it? Anything of positive character which there was more of as Gilliam contributed more (at least on camera, as he has been very involved behind throughout, if I got it right)?

Post subject: Re: Departure of Cleese, affections, Gilliam
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:04 pm 
Senior Looney

I think it affected Python in a way that Gilliam was from that moment on a more prominent performer within Python. He had many roles in the movies and I don't know if he would have had that hadn't Cleesey left. Cleese leaving changed the series drastically because you really miss him (if the last series would have missed Idle, Palin, Chapman or Jones, one would also miss them though) and many sketches go on a bit too long. But I always thought that Gilliam should have been give more to do on camera, as he was always excellent.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:05 am 
Amazing Looney

comparing the last season of flying circus to the others is like comparing MOL with the other movies...

its funny, it's just not hilarious.

Cleese is definately missed although I dont think this really gave Gilliam more of a significant role...

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:25 am 
Senior Looney

fogchicken wrote:
comparing the last season of flying circus to the others is like comparing MOL with the other movies...

I don't agree with you on that. MoL has some of the best things Python ever did. It's a flawed masterpiece.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:06 pm 
Amazing Looney

Yannick_Joker wrote:
fogchicken wrote:

I don't agree with you on that. MoL has some of the best things Python ever did. It's a flawed masterpiece.

MOL is funny, it's just not as hilarious as the other films. In my poinion anyway.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:46 pm 
Senior Looney

Ok, thanks for your insights. However, are you saying Gilliam did not get a more significant role after Cleese left? I've just watched a few episodes from the last season, and I think Gilliam appeared in all. Of course, it is not representative for all the episodes of the last season, as I did after all watch just a few. Yet, Gilliam did definitely not appear very often in the earlier seasons.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:41 am 
Starting Loony

I have always wondered if Graham still wrote sketches after Cleesey left.
hmmm....
hmmm....

Oh, and a big hello to all of you fellow loonies!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:36 pm 
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Graham was unable to work alone and no one wanted the burden of writing with him. Plus he was sinking into drinking more and more so his writing became extremely incomprehensible.

Cleese's words I think...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:55 pm 
Senior Looney

I was just looking across the forums, and whenit said "Departure Cleese", I had thought that he had passed away! Phew, that scared me... :oops:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 am 
Starting Loony

Jinx wrote:
Quote:
Graham was unable to work alone and no one wanted the burden of writing with him. Plus he was sinking into drinking more and more so his writing became extremely incomprehensible.

Cleese's words I think...

much obliged. :)

And working with Graham when he is in that state would be particularly unpleasant, I would imagine.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:20 am 
Paranoid Android

Working with anyone who is drunk or high is difficult work.
Believe me, I am a musician and I know!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:21 am 
Starting Loony

oooh... a musician! my inner rock star godess (whom I refer to as "mad cat slim"; she's part pirate) is very jealous of you since she can't get out. Yours truly is too scared to perform in front of goats... er, I mean, people.

And anyway, we still love that lunatic Graham who, as Mr. Idle said:

"could reduce any drinks party to a shambles by consuming half a distillery and then crawling round the floor kissing all the men and groping all the women"

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series