Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Quotes..and stuff..
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:47 am 
Major Looney

What are your favourite quotes from books, movies.. or parts of poems, maybe even sayings..or slogans?

Smart things, funny, cute, profound..or things that just sound beautiful.. it doesn't matter.. Post it here!

Me first! :mrgreen:

Ok.. I tried to shorten this.. but I can't..

This is from Henry Miller's Tropic Of Cancer:

I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive. A year ago, six months ago, I thought that I was an artist. I no longer think about it, I am. Everything that was literature has fallen from me. There are no more books to be written, thank God.

This then? This is not a book. This is libel, slander, defamation of character. This is not a book, in the ordinary sense of the word. No, this is a prolonged insult, a gob of spit in the face of Art, a kick in the pants to God, Man, Destiny, Time, Love, Beauty ... what you will. I am going to sing for you, a little off key perhaps but I will sing. I will sing while you croak, I will dance over your dirty corpse....

To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs, and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is to want to sing. This then is a song. I am singing.

But my hand sank through
And I whispered your name
in silence
Come back
Be mine ...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:25 am 
Paranoid Android

Nice topic.

And what a wonderful quote :shock:
I wish I had written that :(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:51 am 
Major Looney

I'll post the beginning of De Profundis. But I warn you, it's very very sad. Oscar Wilde wrote this while he was in prison.. I remember, the first time I was reading De Profundis I was bawling my eyes out with each sentence..
It's one of the most emotional things I've ever read.. Because it's real.. :(

Can you imagine being locked up just because you loved someone? :(

. . . Suffering is one very long moment. We cannot divide it by seasons. We can only record its moods, and chronicle their return. With us time itself does not progress. It revolves. It seems to circle round one centre of pain. The paralysing immobility of a life every circumstance of which is regulated after an unchangeable pattern, so that we eat and drink and lie down and pray, or kneel at least for prayer, according to the inflexible laws of an iron formula: this immobile quality, that makes each dreadful day in the very minutest detail like its brother, seems to communicate itself to those external forces the very essence of whose existence is ceaseless change. Of seed-time or harvest, of the reapers bending over the corn, or the grape gatherers threading through the vines, of the grass in the orchard made white with broken blossoms or strewn with fallen fruit: of these we know nothing and can know nothing.

For us there is only one season, the season of sorrow. The very sun and moon seem taken from us. Outside, the day may be blue and gold, but the light that creeps down through the thickly-muffled glass of the small iron-barred window beneath which one sits is grey and niggard. It is always twilight in one’s cell, as it is always twilight in one’s heart. And in the sphere of thought, no less than in the sphere of time, motion is no more. The thing that you personally have long ago forgotten, or can easily forget, is happening to me now, and will happen to me again tomorrow. Remember this, and you will be able to understand a little of why I am writing, and in this manner writing...

But my hand sank through
in silence
Come back
Be mine ...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 am 
Major Looney

Ok, now for something lighter and not sad at all :)

I love this, this is from Alice In Wonderland.. Of course it's obvious that I'm a big fan :D 8)

Cheshire Cat and Alice talking:

“'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'”

But my hand sank through
in silence
Come back
Be mine ...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:27 am 
What an excellent idea for a thread...

"Well we shall have a magnificant garden party, and you will not be invited. And now we're being followed by rocks.... Never heard that before..."

^Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At Worlds End

"Alright, I'm gonna give you a little feedback since you seem to be proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers perpetually caught behind the refrigerator."

^A Scanner Darkly

"We live as if we'll never die, yet die as if we never lived"

^A college assembly. The most inspiring yet depressing thing I've heard all year.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 am 
Paranoid Android

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second.
When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour.
That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with."
Marty Feldman

"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth."
George Burns

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength;
loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

If you realize that all things change,
there is nothing you will try to hold on to.
If you are not afraid of dying,
there is nothing you cannot achieve.
Lao Tzu

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Lao Tzu

"Happiness and strength endure only in the absence of hate.
To hate alone is the road to disaster.
To love is the road to strength.
To love in spite of all is the secret of greatness.
And may very well be the greatest secret in this universe."
L. Ron Hubbard

Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink.
Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...
Sir Norman Wisdom

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a b*tch.
Jack Nicholson

Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill.
Johnny Carson

"My advice to you is to get married. If you find a good wife, you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."
Socrates

"If you cannot convince them, confuse them"
Harry S Truman

"One of us has to leave"
Oscar Wilde (to himself)

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
Winston Churchill

Man eventually stumbles upon truth but he gets up and continues going on his way
Winston Churchill.

Do you think sex is dirty .?????.............. If its done properly, it is ...
Woody Allen

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank".
Woody Allen.

I'm a very good lover cos I practiced a lot on my own
Woody Allen

"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river".
Nikita Khrushchev

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Confucius

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw

If you wanna give God a laugh, tell him your plans
Mike Scott

Don't you know there ain't no Devil?
That's just God when he's drunk
Tom Waits

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:49 pm 
Hot Hungarian

Jinx wrote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with."
Marty Feldman

If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
Winston Churchill

"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river".
Nikita Khrushchev

these are my favourites!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 am 
Major Looney

These are all from a movie called Total Eclipse..The movie is about Rimbaud and Verlaine, their relationship..
I had some quotes from that movie written in my old diary.. I can't find the old diary anymore, but i found the quotes that I liked on the net.

I don't know if these were actually said by Rimbaud and Verlaine, the most of these was probably written for the film.

Rimbaud:The only unbearable thing is that nothing is unbearable.
---------

Rimbaud: I understood that what I needed to become the first poet of this century is to experience everything in my body. It's no longer enough for me to be one person, I decided to be everyone. i decided to be a genious. I decided to originate the future.
---------

Verlaine: I love her body.
Rimbaud: There are other bodies
Verlaine: ..no..i love Mathilde's body.
Rimbaud: But not her soul?
Verlaine: I think it's less important to love her soul than to love the body after all the soul may be immortal. I have plenty of time for the soul, but flesh.. it's my love of flesh that keeps me faithful.
Rimbaud: Faithful. What do you mean?
Verlaine: I'm faithful to all my lovers cause once I loved them I will always love them...and when I'm alone in the evening or in the early morning I close my eyes and I celebrate them all.
Rimbaud: That's not faithfulness. That's nostalgia.
--------

Verlaine: What is your greatest fear?
Rimbaud: That other people would see me as i see them.
--------

Rimbaud: Love..
Verlaine: yes..
Rimbaud: ..no such thing.
Verlaine: What do you mean?
Rimbaud: Whatever it is that binds families and married couples together, that's not love. That's stupidity or selfishness or fear. Love doesn't exist.
Verlaine: You're wrong..
Rimbaud: Self interest exists, attachment based on personal gain exists, complaisancy exists. But not love. Love has to be reinvented.
--------

But my hand sank through
in silence
Come back
Be mine ...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:31 am 
Senior Looney

"poor woody
he could never be my man"
unknown female voice
"The following conversation started between them" Knut :?:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 pm 
Senior Looney

To name a few:

from Dr. Strangelove:

"Hey! You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

from Casablanca:

Captain Renault: Ricky, I'm going to miss you. Apparently you're the only one in Casablanca with less scruples than I.

and

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: Oh, thank you very much.

and

Captain Renault: Rick, there are many exit visas sold in this café, but we know that you've never sold one. That is the reason we permit you to remain open.
Rick: Oh? I thought it was because I let you win at roulette.
Captain Renault: That is another reason.

That movie would be nothing without Claude Rains.

from Mark Twain:

"Never Put off 'til tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"

"You go to heaven for the climate. You go to hell for the society."

"If Jesus were alive today, there would be he would not be: a christian."

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

"Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it."

from Douglas Adams:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

"It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear."
-The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

"You're turning into a penguin, stop it!"
-The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There will be more.

I'm not dead yet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:17 am 
Paranoid Android

BOOK ONE: Childling

Today is my Sainday.
All of us childlings went to the park to play tricks on the dreary people.
Then we did loop-de-loops on the swing till Phoebe threw up.
Everyone was proud, so she took a bow.

Then we played Cheater's Freeze Tag till Phoebe got stuck, then it got to be evening and we had to go to Court. Sometimes if you don't come in time they lock the doors and pull the rings shut so you are Locked Out untill morning.

It is scary to be Locked Out. There are monsters out at night, and it's cold too. You might cry if you were a baby. So we went back and sat down in our place to wait for the Baron.

Court is a very big important thing because it's soooo serious but I like it. They gave us pomegranate brandy with sugar in it and then we're told stories. Stories are the best part 'cause they're all true.

Today is my Sainday. I forgot what number I've gotten to, nut I managed to be the youngest again. It is a big responsibility to be the youngest. People might think it is an easy job, but it takes hard work because you have to play all the time. Sometimes I would rather be big because it's less hard work.

BOOK TWO: Wilder

Some days, in summer, things are at the point of beautiful where you feel like you're going to start crying.
The light in the sky hangs there in the mornings and makes everything glow so soft. If you're not young and alive, you can't have any idea what I'm talking about, and I feel bad for you.

It being Hollyday today, I managed to sneak out and meet Duck for Promenade. Duck and I have to be very covert about this 'cause our gangs are locked in a turf war right now. If word about us gets out, we'll probably have to stop the war, and nobody wants that. I do so love him. What we feel is true and pure, it's for always.

We met up on the carousel and talked forever, going around and around in musical circles. Duck always picks the Yellow Ostrich and I always pick the Walrus. That's one of the ways we know we were made for each other.

We talked about the really important things like we always do, about Life and Dreams and Art and Reality and how scary it is when you think you're losing hold of the glamorous life. I'd hate to slip down like that, down-spiraling until you're a sellout grump or even cold normal.
When I said how terrified I am of going normsey, Duck said he wouldn't allow it to happen, that he'd fight the Shadow King barefisted. Duck tends to exaggerate, but it makes me feel better about things. We both know what it's like.

Afterward, we met up with the others on the Promenade and everyone drank just enough and laughed just loud enough and loved and loved and loved.
Everywhere, Our Kind buzzed and scintillated and spun great lives, because we are young and gifted and we can look forward to tommorow with unclouded eyes. We're already living in the future, and it will be perfect, because we will make it that way.

What I like best about summer is how the days last forever. Even when the day quits, the night takes over, and the night lasts almost as long, which is almost long enough. It must be what being dead or truly happy is like.
A glow that lingers.
Something bright that stays.
These are the important things.

BOOK THREE: Grump

These days the world is gray and heavy. Over this long season I've collected too many things and too many names for things. They cling to me like fine clothes that will never come back in style: leaden shrouds of naming in my heart. Things weigh me down. Now I understand how mortals feel, held in place by the gravity of the souls that move them.

It's the missing pieces that weigh me down the most, crushing me under their very absence. Phoebe got psychoanalyzed and she want talk to anyone anymore. Martha woke up one day and couldn't stop crying, so she headed out for another chance to get it right. It's the way of our kind; long memory is not something to cultivate. Best to let go.

I wish I knew what happened to Duck. The last time we talked was years ago, and we fought. We'd fallen out of each other's lives long before - no one will ever be what he was to me. Our gangs are all gone now: drop out, burn out, fall out, sell out.

Some days, when no one is looking and I can spare a few minutes from taking care of the little ones, I still dance. It's nothing as graceful or elegant as it used to be. No King will reward me with treasures. But I close my eyes, raise my hands, and the music is there.
For an instant I am beautiful again, and the evening sky is on fire beyond these lead windows. All of us who ever played or sang or tricked or laughed can dance together in the feast hall for this epiphany.

Is it winter already?
Come fill for me the parting glass. I will ride the Walrus, and I will poke the invinsible flowers.

I have always known how...

- From Changeling: The Dreaming

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:36 am 
Major Looney

This is from American Beauty:

I guess I could be pretty pissed about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst...

And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life...

You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure... but don't worry...

You will someday.

But my hand sank through
in silence
Come back
Be mine ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Silly