Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current

Post subject: Went to see Dutch Monty Python theater show
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:45 am 
Starting Loony

Hi there,

Yesterday we went to the theater to see a Dutch version of some Python sketches.
I was sad to see that one of the actors that was supposed to be part of the cast (Jeroen van Koningsbrugge), had apparently dropped out of the program.
I guess this was because he has recently joined an improvisation comedy TV show called The Lama's, which is a Dutch version of Channel 4's Whose Line Is it Anyway.
But the other four did a pretty good job as well.
Several notorious Python-sketches were translated in Dutch and played in the same setting with each sketch flowing over into the next.
And even though it couldn't really match up to the original material (which is impossible in my opinion), these guys did a pretty good job and we had a lot of fun last night.
It was also nice to see that they didn't go for obvious "famous" sketches like parrot sketch, ministry of silly walks or Spanish inquisition.
They went for some of the less "legendary" (but nonetheless brilliant) material and I especially loved the way they did the police station sketch where a man comes in to report a burglary.
They did all the funny voices and ended up with an officer "rapping" his lines as a way to add a bit of modern flavour to it all.
I really had a good time and it was nice to see a lot of young people in the audience.
This proves that Monty Python's humour is indeed timeless and still funny after 30 years.

Last edited by Ralph on Fri May 25, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:02 am 
Starting Loony

The guy in the police hat is actually the one that dropped out, so they made a new poster:

Last edited by Ralph on Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:04 am 
Starting Loony

Here's some pictures of the show:

Last edited by Ralph on Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:05 am 
Starting Loony

And here's the cast members:

Jeroen Spitzenberger:

Arnoud Bos:

Finn Poncin:

Eva van der Gucht:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:00 am 
Senior Looney

Ik ben meteen de eerste die zegt dat het me helemaal niet leuk lijkt en dat de rol aan de 6 heren zelf besteed is en niet aan anderen. Vertaling naar het Nederlands helpt ook niet echt.

I just said how I feel that only the six Pythons should do it and not some other guys. I like the idea but it just seems like sh*t to me. It's pure and pure English humor and I don't know how one would translate a phrase like 'Would you like to come back to my place?'. It would sound very strange in Dutch.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am 
Starting Loony

Daar was ik eerst ook bang voor, maar de vertaling was eigenlijk heel goed gedaan.
Het haalt het natuurlijk nooit bij het origineel, maar ze maakten er best een leuk show van.
Het werd ook niet exact nagespeeld of zo.
De hele voorstelling verliep aan één stuk door in dezelfde setting en werd subtiel overgegaan van de ene sketch naar de andere.
De grappen bleven in principe hetzelfde, maar werden wel in een modern Nederlands jasje gestoken.
Misschien moet je toch zelf eerst eens gaan kijken voordat je een oordeel vestigt.
Ik ben zelf 30 jaar oud en al Python-fan sinds ik een puber was.
Ik ken dus zo'n beetje alle sketches uit mijn hoofd, maar ik vond dat ze er best een leuke draai aan gaven.

Let me translate it for you :wink:
I just said that I was worried that it was going to suck, but that the translations were actually done very well.
Of course it can't be compared to the original thing, but it was a good show nonetheless.
And they didn't play exact copies of the sketches.
The entire show was played without any intermissions (like a play) and they gradually changed from one sketch to another.
The jokes themselves remained the same, but were modernized and adapted for a Dutch audience.
I also said that he should check out the show himself, before judging it.
I'm 30 years old myself and have been a Python-fan since my early teens.
I know almost all the sketches by heart, but I still thought they did a pretty good job.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 am 
Starting Loony

Because of Yannick_Joker's reaction, I thought that I might have to clear a few things up.
This show wasn't just a bunch of Dutch actors and comedians performing Python-sketches.
It was more like a play.
The stage setting was quite sober, with only a desk and some chairs in the middle and a big screen in the back.
The actors all wore dark grey suits and only used some small props like a trenchcoat, a gun, fake mustaches and beards, a clipboard and stuff like that.
The screen in the background showed sober images that clearified where the scene was taking place (warehouse, office etc.) and that was it.
The only way you could tell which Python sketch it was, was if you were a Python-fan yourself and knew the original sketch.
It was all translated in Dutch and modernized with references to things happening in the Netherlands right now, in stead of in Brittain in the 70's.
That way, it would also appeal to younger people who never saw the original sketches.
I think this was also done, because you just can't copy the original sketches played by the original pythons.
Than it would indeed have sucked.
Now they put classic python humour in a modern, Dutch setting and it was still funny!
My girlfriend, for instance, is not a Python-fan like me and doesn't know most of the original sketches, so for her it was a completely different experience than for me.
And I quess this goes for a lot of younger people in the audience, but they obviously still thought it was funny, because there was a lot of laughter.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 pm 
Senior Looney

I imagine that listening to Python in Dutch would be funny beyond explanation.
It is just me or does the Dutch language look a bit naughty?

Ei waav mei privaat partenz aat éur tantes, sie kaaseien gruppen di
zwieten paalme elektrizschisekeners aas-aarse munchen.

Netherlanders might enjoy my website with cinema poster pages
in multiple European languages, although.... sadly I don't seem to own
anything in Dutch (yet). Meanwhile, plenty of miserable fat Belgian,
Flemish, French, and Deutsch posters to enjoy, among others.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:11 am 
Major Looney

Ik vond "Het klokhuis" eigenlijk ook altijd wel erg doen denken aan MP... met die twee oude "dames" enzo.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:36 am 
Pythonesque

Yannick_Joker wrote:
Ik ben meteen de eerste die zegt dat het me helemaal niet leuk lijkt en dat de rol aan de 6 heren zelf besteed is en niet aan anderen. Vertaling naar het Nederlands helpt ook niet echt.

I just said how I feel that only the six Pythons should do it and not some other guys. I like the idea but it just seems like sh*t to me. It's pure and pure English humor and I don't know how one would translate a phrase like 'Would you like to come back to my place?'. It would sound very strange in Dutch.

Word. Those are my feelings, too!

Madeleine...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:23 am 
Major Looney

Het is natuurlijk lastig om een bewerking te waarderen als je het origineel kent.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:56 pm 
Average Looney

Não entendi esse último comentário.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Current