Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm 
Average Looney

Location: Valencia (Spain)---> but I'm actually from Irun (Basque country)
HA! The question should be what DON'T I find funny!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:21 pm 
Average Looney

I think this sketch is what got me hooked to Python, besides watching Holy Grail. And why it's funny to me...all the synonyms for "dead" coupled with the rediculousness/absurdity of the whole situation. Like someone else said, in the back of your mind is the thought "how could someone buy a dead parrot without noticing it's dead?" I also love the performance. I think it was very well written. I think the overall popularity of the sketch is thanks to how well written and absurd it is. I think it's the type of sketch most anyone can find funny for some reason. You may think it's funny because of the performance, or the situation, or the writing, or some other factor (perhaps the parrot bashing), but it's so good overall that most people (even those not big fans of Python) can appreciate the humor in it. And it's a sketch someone at any age can "get," and like.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 am 
Major Looney

Location: I'm really in Swamp Castle, but for legal reasons I have to say I'm in Liverpool.
What I love about that Policemans Ball version is when michael is trying not to laugh again, and Cleesey shouts "Look, this is nothing to laugh at!!!" I was on the floor when I saw it! And michael looks so pretty when he laughs.

I personally love the shopkeepers attempt to convince the man it is alive and thinks moving the cage will convince him! Not to mention all the euphemisms for death, and after a while he just gives up and says "We've got a slug" Heheh

Im analysing Python for my english coursework, and this is one of the sketches I transcripted, which is SO boring - pausing every 5 seconds to write down what they say.
Im also doing the "One day lad," "I want to be a woman" and the funniest joke in the world scenes. Hopefully I should get an A since Im so interested in it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 am 
Average Looney

Concorde wrote:
Im analysing Python for my english coursework, and this is one of the sketches I transcripted, which is SO boring - pausing every 5 seconds to write down what they say.

You know, you could just find the scripts on the internet...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 am 
Major Looney

Location: I'm really in Swamp Castle, but for legal reasons I have to say I'm in Liverpool.
Lucy_naribola wrote:
Concorde wrote:

You know, you could just find the scripts on the internet...
]
You'd get lower marks for that, we were told. Its because it suggests laziness to the examiners.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:13 pm 
Average Looney

oooooh, I see... although I don't really see the point of that, if what you're intended to do is to analyze the language it really doesn't matter the way you get the words...
anyway, I hope you get a good mark in your work :wink:

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series