Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post subject: good vs evil cricket match
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:46 am 
Starting Loony

I saw this sketch on Australian TV in about 1971 and still remember it clearly, that's how good it was, and I always assumed it was Monty Python. But this sketch has never resurfaced to my knowledge in any of the Flying Circus re-runs or DVD compilations (all of which I have). It had Python written all over it.

In the sketch, Adolf Hitler was captain of the Evil XI and Jesus Christ skippered the Goodies. Attila the Hun opened the bowling for Evil. Mahatma Gandhi staged a non-violent protest at being given out by sitting on the pitch. The baddies flattened him with the lawn roller and a two-dimensional Mahatma could be seen being carried back to the pavillion. That's about all I can tell you.

Ring a bell with anyone? Could I possibly have been watching another satirical show? This has been bugging me for many years, so someone please put my mind at rest.

Post subject: Re: good vs evil cricket match
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:09 pm 
Admin Overlord

It doesn't ring a bell. It might have been show only on Oz TV (GOD is an Ozzie so might know...)

CF

Reply address is NEVER CHECKED. Contact me at "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:45 am 
Starting Loony

Thanks for taking the trouble to post a reply, Cardinal, but with due respect, it wasn't much help. It's highly unlikely a Flying Circus episode would be screened in Australia without having been screened in the UK a year earlier. The first series did not hit the ABC (Oz equivalent of BBC) until 1970, and it was buried at irregular late-night timeslots, but as in the UK, the Python cult flourished nonetheless. The first one I ever saw was the 'Clever Sheep' episode, that was around Christmas of 1970 and I was hooked immediately.

I mention this because the program containing the cricket match sketch was not something I stumbled on accidentally. I believe I deliberately and consciously sought out Monty Python's Flying Circus on that occasion.

At that time, I was aware of John Cleese but not the other members of the team individually, so I can't say who performed what, but I seem to recall Cleese's voice as the commentator, and his manic voice was unmistakable even then.

So my real question is do 'lost episodes' or 'lost sketches' exist among the Python 'oeuvre' from that first and second series? If so, the only people who would know of them are the perpetrators themselves, and they produced those programs at such a frantic pace that even their memories are fuzzy, by all accounts. Perhaps some footage was destroyed by the BBC archivists and the Pythons themselves had forgotten them too.

This was an outdoor shooting sequence and relatively long, very similar in feel and scope to the classic 'Philosophers soccer match', and equally inspired. So somebody must remember doing it, and somebody must remember seeing it.

It can't be a figment of my imagination because unlike the venerable Pythons, mine is not that fertile.

Somebody help!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 am 
Just Plain Amazing

Cardinal Fang wrote:
It doesn't ring a bell. It might have been show only on Oz TV (GOD is an Ozzie so might know...)

CF

Might be hard for him to know about things that aired 17 years before he was born though. :wink:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:35 am 
Just Plain Amazing

GOD wrote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:

CF

Might be hard for him to know about things that aired 17 years before he was born though. :wink:

Though seeing he is young enough to know about the marvels of google -

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/pet ... 1470662936

It seems you are refering to a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm 
Admin Overlord

See. I knew God would know!

CF

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 pm 
Starting Loony

Thanks, God. I never thought of Pete'n'Dud. It's a lead worth investigating, though I'm still dubious.

I remember reading somewhere (meaning Wikipedia) that quite a lot of 'Not only ... But Also' archival footage was destroyed by the BBC, and that Cook's offers to buy it from them were made in vain. So the sketch in question, if they made it, may well be lost for good. Unfortunately, neither of those two wonderful entertainers are any longer with us to shed any light on it.

However, outdoor location filming was quite rare for that series, as I recall, and it would have involved a larger cast of extras. But it's certainly a concept and a style that would have been within their range.

As far as I know, Python precursors such as 'Do Not Adjust Your Set' and 'At Last the 1948 Show' did not reach the remote shores of Australia. I've checked out the DVD compilations of those series. It was far too surreal for 'The Frost Report', and all of those shows ran a few years earlier anyway.

Another reason I'm respectfully suggesting you may be wrong - Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were quite high-profile in those days, practically household words in Australia, and if it were their show I was watching, or one of their occasional specials, it would have been prime-time viewing and I would have been well aware of who or what I was watching.

So I'm still claiming it's a lost Python sketch or possibly entire Flying Circus episode. There were no other comedians capable of this brand of comedy who could have gotten it on to the airwaves at that time.

But I do appreciate you reading my blog and lending me your thoughts. I'll keep hunting and thanks very much.

It's amazing what you can find on the web nowadays - I've rediscovered a lot of stuff that I've wanted to know more about for years. Sites like yours are a great boon to this need and my hats off to you for keeping the Python torch burning brightly. It's now been over forty years since they first afflicted the world with their visionary genius and it's a better place for it.

I'll let you know if I have any luck tracking down this elusive 'blast from the past'. All the best from David Pythonfan (Mr).

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:30 pm 
Admin Overlord

MrDavidPythonfan wrote:
So I'm still claiming it's a lost Python sketch or possibly entire Flying Circus episode. There were no other comedians capable of this brand of comedy who could have gotten it on to the airwaves at that time.

There are no lost Monty Python (i.e. broadcast but never seen again) episodes. Fortunately the records are pretty much complete. The nearest we get to "lost" episodes are the two German episodes that have rarely been seen outside of Germany (although are available on video and DVD).

There are also very few lost sketches. The most famous is the "Wee-Wee Wine Tasting" sketch which was cut following objections from both John Cleese and the BBC. The sketch basically involves a man sampling different drinks in a wine cellar, only to be told after each one that it is in fact "wee-wee". It was originally in the last show of season 3. The only other deleted sketch comes from the same episode involves a sculptor (played by GC) who sculpts JC but gives him a massive nose. The reason for this sketch being binned is unclear. Occasionally the odd "lost" sketch surfaces, but these tend to be unbroadcasted ones salvaged from Graham Chapman's archives etc

If you clearly remember John Cleese in it, it might be a sketch from another show he was in. By that time Cleese had been in The Frost Report and At Last The 1948 Show and was the only quite well known one of the 6 Pythons. Of The Frost Report, 14 episodes out of 29 shows are missing, including most of the second series so what many of the sketches were about is not known. It is known that they did one on sport. The Frost Report was shown on Oz television (first shown in 1966). Could it be you're remembering a sketch from that?

Alternatively... the Monty Python episode with the Attila the Hun show in is has a later sketch with cricketers in it. Could the the sketch you're thinking of be an mental amalgum of a few different sketches?

CF

Last edited by Cardinal Fang on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubbish spelling!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
Just Plain Amazing

MrDavidPythonfan wrote:
Thanks, God. I never thought of Pete'n'Dud. It's a lead worth investigating, though I'm still dubious.

I remember reading somewhere (meaning Wikipedia) that quite a lot of 'Not only ... But Also' archival footage was destroyed by the BBC, and that Cook's offers to buy it from them were made in vain. So the sketch in question, if they made it, may well be lost for good. Unfortunately, neither of those two wonderful entertainers are any longer with us to shed any light on it.

However, outdoor location filming was quite rare for that series, as I recall, and it would have involved a larger cast of extras. But it's certainly a concept and a style that would have been within their range.

As far as I know, Python precursors such as 'Do Not Adjust Your Set' and 'At Last the 1948 Show' did not reach the remote shores of Australia. I've checked out the DVD compilations of those series. It was far too surreal for 'The Frost Report', and all of those shows ran a few years earlier anyway.

Another reason I'm respectfully suggesting you may be wrong - Peter Cook and Dudley Moore were quite high-profile in those days, practically household words in Australia, and if it were their show I was watching, or one of their occasional specials, it would have been prime-time viewing and I would have been well aware of who or what I was watching.

But I do appreciate you reading my blog and lending me your thoughts. I'll keep hunting and thanks very much.

It's amazing what you can find on the web nowadays - I've rediscovered a lot of stuff that I've wanted to know more about for years. Sites like yours are a great boon to this need and my hats off to you for keeping the Python torch burning brightly. It's now been over forty years since they first afflicted the world with their visionary genius and it's a better place for it.

I'll let you know if I have any luck tracking down this elusive 'blast from the past'. All the best from David Pythonfan (Mr).

Ummm did you look at the link I posted in my response...

It was a video link of the exact sketch you were after as you described it, performed by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, I watched it and found it quite amusing.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 pm 
Just Plain Amazing

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/pet ... 1470662936

Here are more links if that one didn't work for you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5pRv2ajHkU

http://laughterlog.com/2009/01/13/not-o ... %E2%80%A6/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Only..._But_Also

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:26 pm 
Starting Loony

Thanks, guys, you're amazingly resourceful and knowledgeable about Brit. comedy. At last that mystery is solved. I'll sleep well tonight. It seems that, indeed, my memory was playing tricks over the fog of time. I got some of it right and a lot wrong. Attila the Hun was in the Evil XI but was not sighted on the field, and Lord Baden-Powell captained the good guys, not JC. All the same, it's a great sketch and it was very satisfying to see it again after all these years. Still not sure why I thought it was Python though.

Thanks once again for your indulgence. I'll try to repay it by contributing to some other posts and queries if I can.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series