Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: Michael Palin is the best python yes or no
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:14 pm 
Starting Loony

am i the only one who thinks michael palin is the best python i mean no one can do PILATE who can do "Incontinentia Buttocks!" he own [:D]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:23 pm 
Amazing Looney

I just think it's great how he can say "Biggus Dickus" and "Incontinentia Buttocks" with a completely straight face.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
I'd have to agree with you both. And his range was pretty incredible-look at the differences in all the characters that he played, both in the Flying Circus tv series and the films.

Pilate always cracks me up when I watch Brian-and also when he does the ex-leper.

He had a different voice for every character he played too-it was like you were watching a completely different person each time.

Long live Pythonmania :o)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:32 am 
Senior Looney

Due to confining restriction (eg, me being a guy), i have to keep my feelings for Michael in check... well at least secret. Yeah, Palin's cool, I just couldn't keep a straight face and keep that enthusiasm that he displays during the Fish Slapping Dance!

Apathy rul.....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:09 pm 
Starting Loony

yeah am gald to c that am not the only one, u r all right yeah he is like a differnt person when he plays different people, not just someone who reads a scirt out lound, i would love to c him do a film now, maybe he should be in the new james bond[:)]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:40 pm 
Starting Loony

Fish Slapping Dance! Only the best Python bit ever... ah, yes, that's good stuff.

Yeah, Palin's my favorite Python. It took me forever to decide, but once I had, I realized that there wasn't much comparison, really. Don't get me wrong, I do adore all the lads, and they were all so very talented, but I feel that Palin was the most skilled simply because of his range. Cleese was fabulous, but he always played the same kind of angry-psycho character.

Oh, and Palin doesn't -quite- get through the whole thing as Pilate without corpsing---the soldier who he faces down ends up making him laugh. It's VERY brief, but it's there. [;)]

<i>"Semprini?"
"OUT!"</i>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:18 am 
Looney Elite

you have to admit though, he did that angry-pyscho character very, very well. i don't think anyone could have come even close to how he did those kinds of characters.

You're fooling yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:14 am 
Starting Loony

Personally I would have to go with Terry Jones.

Es gibt viel mehr zu diesem als Treffen das Auge!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:19 am 
Looney Elite

any particular reason?

You're fooling yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:30 pm 
Senior Looney

I agree that Palin is the best performer of all the Pythons. Along with his incredible charisma, he is the most convincing and versatile actor. He is able to invest life and credibility into any part he plays, and he is the most gifted at accents. He is also, in an indefinable way, just inherently funny.
BTW, it's probably relevant that Palin had done some 'straight' acting before Python, doing some amateur dramatics in his home town of Sheffield before going to Oxford.

'I too take strong exception to this resurgence of cheap jokes about pooh-poohs.'

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:31 pm 
Senior Looney

I agree that Palin is the best performer of all the Pythons. Along with his incredible charisma, he is the most convincing and versatile actor. He is able to invest life and credibility into any part he plays, and he is the most gifted at accents. He is also, in an indefinable way, just inherently funny.
BTW, it's probably relevant that Palin had done some 'straight' acting before Python, doing some amateur dramatics in his home town of Sheffield before going to Oxford.

'I too take strong exception to this resurgence of cheap jokes about pooh-poohs.'

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:42 pm 
Senior Looney

Sorry for posting twice!

BTW, anyone who loves Palin should check out the Ripping Yarns series which he made after Python. He wrote them with Terry Jones, and he always takes the lead role. The other roles are always played by 'serious' actors rather than comedians, and it's great to see how Palin holds his own with them and manages to carry a whole narrative.

'Ripping Yarns' retains some well-loved elements of Python humour, but at its best it manages to create involving storylines, pitching itself between absurd parody and credible drama. The production values are great for TV as well. Check 'em out on DVD!

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons