Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:17 pm 
Senior Looney

I love Monty Python not just because it's funny, but because it presents a warped, fantastic but somehow recognisable version of England that - disturbingly enough - I feel right at home in.

Muze kdokoli tady rozumet cestinu?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:21 pm 
Senior Looney

Attila you're absolutely right - I think people who try to imitate Python often miss the fact that they were incredibly precise and careful about everything they did, however silly or apparently random it is. There was no ad-libbing, and in the Ministry of Silly Walks, for instance, Cleese had all his movements carefully worked out or 'choreographed' in advance. All this gives the lie to the suggestion that they were all out of their heads on drugs for most of the time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:44 am 
Senior Looney

Hmmm... you've presented me with a poser, there... The animations are one thing. I also love the absurtidy of it all, like in Scott of the Antarctic when the producer commands everyone to paint the sand yellow again. The sheer silliness of Eric Idle singing the money song as the Fred Tomilson Singers dress up like she-pilgrims. I guess the real reason I like Python is because it's just funny![;)]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:40 am 
Starting Loony

Even though I am a teenage girl, Monty Python humour is just "me". <i>My</i> kind of humour.
And the fact that it's survived long enough to reach people my age.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:32 pm 
Senior Looney

It's certainly true that Python has worn better than a lot of other comedy, especially sketch shows. If you see some of the shows that led up to Python now, such as the David Frost Report or the 'satire' breakthrough That Was the Week That Was, a lot of it looks primitive, smug and unfunny. One of the problems with comedy is that what looked like daring material 30 years ago might not do today, yet Python still seems fresh and near-the-knuckle - look at 'Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days', for instance. Also, by using archetypes of the British character rather than satirising specific people, it has lost none of its relevance - upper-class twits and mad old women are just the same today as they ever were.
And I've always felt that Python is just 'me', perhaps too much so. On some level it all makes perfect sense to me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:40 pm 
Senior Looney

Another strange thing is that Pythonesque humour seems to be universal. The Pythons were always convinced that the show would never work in the US, but it's arguably been more influential there than anywhere else. And from personal experience, I've met French, German and Czech people who knew and liked the show. Maybe that shows that, in all societies, there's a deep longing, repressed in daily life, for pure silliness.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 am 
Senior Looney

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thelwat</i>
<br />What do you like about it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
i love that when i meet someone and even before knowing them i discover that they, like me, know the monty python's lines, it creates a kind of complicity like i've known them for ages
as some french singer said to some head of firm (have you heard of messier ?) "if we're living on the same planet, we're definitely not living in the same world" well you change it and it's the contrary
[8)]errm did you understand ? [:D]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:20 am 
Starting Loony

[}:)][:D][8D][:(]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by magga</i>
<br />Do you think that translating Monty Python into other languages makes any sense? does this kind of humour break all boundaries (for example generation gap and all this staff)? Is it universal?

bla bla
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">gkejotiyjj[:(][xx(][8]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:06 am 
Amazing Looney

I love it because...... its funny!

duh lol

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:21 am 
I didn't get it at all at first, but then I couldn't stop watching it. I think you'd describe Monty Python as timeless. It has passed from my parents generation to mine, and no doubt it will pass on to my children, as I will sit them down and make them watch it!

Seriously though, it's a type of humour which appeals to many people of many different ages and takes them out of the ordinary every time they watch it. Plus, I reckon Fogchicken watches it mainly because of Eric, but shush, I didn't say that :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:36 pm 
Amazing Looney

ooh yes you did, i heard you!
hehe i guess your right *swoon* but mainly its just hilarious.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:10 pm 
Senior Looney

Eric is hot, i love his hair, lol.
But I can't say that I love michael too much.
I love Monty python because it is hillarious to ME, it is not as funny to some people I know.
Sometimes people tell me that im weird for liking monty python so much, thats why I like this board because everyone here like monty python like I do!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films