Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
My favourite film would have to be Holy Grail. I absolutely love it. One of my friend's and I will be out together and we'll just spend the whole time repeating lines from it to each other! Hehe. I love that you can watch it a million times and still laugh as much as you did the first time you saw it.

I'd have to say my next favourite film would be Hollywood Bowl, then Life Of Brian, then Something Completely Different. I like Meaning Of Life too, but I don't think it was as good as the other films. There are some funny parts in it though. My favourite scene is the Zulu War scene, when Eric has his leg bitten off by a tiger. Hehe. My favourite part in the whole film is when Eric and Michael are dressed up as the tiger-that whole speech cracks me up every time I watch it.[:D]

To me, it seems like their hearts just weren't in it with the Meaning Of Life. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good film (and the Galaxy Song and Every Sperm Is Sacred are two of the greatest Python songs ever written), but I just don't think it was as funny as their other material.Like everyone else here, I'm a huge Python fan, and I can watch all the other films and tv series and be in stitches all the way through, but Meaning Of Life doesn't do that for me. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. There are hilarious parts in it, but not a real lot. What do you guys think?

Long live Pythonmania :o)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:14 pm 
Looney Elite

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pythongirl</i>
<br />My favourite film would have to be Holy Grail. I absolutely love it. One of my friend's and I will be out together and we'll just spend the whole time repeating lines from it to each other! Hehe. I love that you can watch it a million times and still laugh as much as you did the first time you saw it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

one of my friends and i do a similar thing, except we try to do whole scenes. in fact, we were just doing it last night...

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:33 am 
Starting Loony

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Prof. T.F. Gumby</i>
<br />I know this is kind of obvious, but I was wondering what everyone else's favorite Pyton movie was. Mine is Holy Grail.

You're no fun anymore.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

adam winson

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:16 pm 
Starting Loony

I agree with many other people. Meaning of Life didn't make me laugh all the way through. The Mr. Creosote (or whatever he was called) didn't make me laugh. It made me giggle slightly, though. The live organ donors just didn't much, either. The Zulu scene, "Find the Fish" and the death scene made me laugh the most. They were hilarious.[:D]
Anyway, my favourite is Holy Grail, closely followed by Life of Brian.[:)]

---"Are you saying 'Ni' to that old woman?"---

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:26 pm 
Starting Loony

I <3 Holy Grail! my cuz n i really like that movie. we always like saying the quotes from it that we know. my cuz n i really have good times! ^-^

Master Sword-Legend of Zelda nerd forever

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:13 am 
Senior Looney

A couple of things. Firstly, French K-Nigget, why don't you ever leave a reply? Just a quote? It drives me CRAZY[:(!]!!! Secondly, I'm surprised that so few people like Meaning of Life! I didn't mean that it was a bad film! I LOVED it- the Mr. Creosote especially- my dad thinks it's the funniest thing the Pythons ever did. Finally, Master Sword, I don't understand what you mean...

You're no fun anymore

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 am 
Starting Loony

Holy Grail is the Coup de Grace! I discovered this a few years ago. But Meaning of Life rates a close 2nd. I hate to be obnoxious, but the 'Every Sperm is Sacred' made me laugh so hard I almost got sick. And the Catholic/Protestant desciption was irreproachable!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:48 am 
Senior Looney

Anyone else got a favorite movie?

You're no fun anymore!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:03 am 
Starting Loony

Hello all. This is my first post and I hope not to incur the wrath of anyonwe with whom I may disagree on any points Python. I am a big fan since their "arrival" to the states in 1975. What a culture shock THAT was for a kid born in 1963 whi was raised on stale American re-runs of shows that were lame to begin with (though some of which I still love dearly,partly due to nostalgia and partly due to my being able to understand and appreciate them more as an adult. DVD releases of entire seasons doesn't hurt either! Hogan's Heroes rules![:D])

I humbly disagree on two points that I have seen here and on other DVD review sites and forums. One point is this "re-grouping" of Monty Python on some new T.V. series that is supposed to eventually make it's way to the states. If I read it correctly, they are simply going to rehash the same material from the lates 60's, but with the added twist that they are all OLD men now. I hated when George Carlin did it for years and got sick of the Pythons doing it by the time "Hollywood Bowl" came out. I enjoy re-runs, as stated above, but draw the line at any comic who does the same shtick for 30+ years. How can even the most ardent Knights of Ni stand to see the dead parrot sketch for the 1200th time? I loved it in the series and in the movie "And now for...", but that is it. It is done (isn't that a quote from some religious epic?[}:)]).

That being said, I also am amazed to see an almost unanimous concensus that "The life of Brian" is considered some sort of classic and, by more than a few fans, Python's best, while deriding "The Meaning of Life" as their worst effort. I often compare Python with the Beatles in terms of development and influence. Using that analogy, I feel "The Holy Grail" and "The Meaning of Life" are the Pythons' two best feature and the two flicks that pop culture historians will look back on with relative reverence. The "Holy Grail" is their best narrative work. Like the Python's comedy sensibilities, "Holy Grail" was both raw and sophisticated at the same time. The low budget, the mysterious, hazy British countryside and the raw, grainy look of early 70's cinema in general mix together to make for a truly engaging experience. I understand some of the arguments for "Life of Brian" but I think the appeal of "Brian" is twofold. One fact is that most people simply remember the end sequence. It was a truly sacralegious, stirring, funny, brilliant moment especially after the (in my humble opinion) uneven, meandering 80 minutes that preceeded it. True, the scenes of Brian trying to preach to the intellectually stubborn masses is another great moment but it harkens back to the "Holy Grail's" "Come and see the violence inherent in the system" bit so already "Brian" loses a point or two by rehashing. I have only seen "Brian" once or twice and perhaps I need to revisit it once again. I am open to resons why "Brian" is superior to any of the Pythons' other efforts. I just see the overlong sequence of Pontious Pilate and his speech impediment as a sad foreshadowing of Michael Palin's obbsession with stutterers that culminated in the dismal "A Fish called Wanda". The rest of the film is a hazy half memory, in part, due to it's weak structure and thin on laughs script, and perhaps my life as a "hold over" from the 60's (ie; PLENTY of partying[:p]!). "The Holy Grail" is like the Beatles at their "Yeah Yeah Yeah" best, raw, fun and a pricelss time capsule gem of early 70's comedy at it's most cerebral AND physical (Forget Woody Allen![;)]...just kidding.) I also think the mere idea of skewering such a sacred cow as Christianity and Christ himself is a big part of the film's appeal. That premise alone is not enough to call "Brian" a classic.
"The Meaning of Life" is another matter entirely. Considering the fact that the Pythons' were primarily a group of sketch comics, the critisms I have read at other sites (none here yet, I have only just begun to read the posts)regarding the film's lack of narrative structure and it's "hit and miss" quality,miss,in my opinion, the point of the film entirely. Not every joke in every movie will appeal to everybody, not in "Grail", nor "Brian" or "Life", but the ratio of hits to misses is way in favor of the Pythons in "Life". Looked at as the last original collection of sketches from the Pythons alone makes "Life" priceless. I thought the epic lenght of the film (much derided on DVD review sites)only lends to the scope of the pseudo question invoked by the title. The budget on "Life" is bigger than on most Python flicks and it lends itself quite nicely to the power of the "Permanent Assurance" bits and the ambitious musical numbers, not to mention the "little things" like incidental music scoring and animation. I understand the "Meaning of the making of the Meaning of Life" segment in the re-issue of the "Life" DVD reveals the lack of cohesivness on the part of the Pythons (much like the Beatles in THEIR later efforts)and "Life" was supposed to be some write off contracual obligation in general. None of that takes away from the film's brilliance. Too many favorite moments to mention, but I will point out that, "But I didn't eat the mousse.", is an oft repeated phrase around my house[:D]. I believe a lot of the film's subtlties are lost on most reviewers of DVD and perhaps on some of the Python fan base. Everyone quotes from "Grail" but few have remembered such great lines like; "There are many options before we go STAMPEDING towards the clitoris." and; "The Lord has blessed us so much we can't afford to feed you anymore.". I think "The Meaning of Life" should be re-visited by critics and fans. The songs of Eric Idle and Neil Innes (hope I spelled it correctly)go along way in the Python machine towards endearing them to us and "Life" has some of Idle and Innes' work since "The Rutles". I could go on but I have learned from experience that long posts are rarely read thoughroughly so I will stop for the moment.

Please let me know what you think in a resonable fashion. For those who disagree with my assertions, give me your reasons but don't get personal or rude. I have experienced much of this on any forum I have disagreed on. Just facts and your own personal thoughts, please[;)]. I f this subject has been covered in another thread, please don't be angry. I will be glad to save this post on my computer and paste it in a new thread or in an existing thread if applicable.
Thanks for the responses in advance and thank you for providing such a seemingly well thought out forum (the posts I have read so far show an intelligent base of responders thus far.). Peace and "ekky ekky, etc..."[^]

Run Away!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:14 am 
Starting Loony

erm...........

HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!! Awesome film!

Then it's Life of Brian and then Meaning of life.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:59 pm 
Starting Loony

LIFE OF BRIAN!!!!
THAT IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!! I NO THE WHOLE SCRIPT!!!!!
but my brother loves holy grail

he says
'ni'

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:57 am 
Starting Loony

Without a doubt holy grail, followed by life of brian because, sadly :oops:, those are the only ones I've seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Python Films