Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: CUTEY CLEESEY
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:35 pm 
Junior Looney

Place to come and discuss all things cleesey!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:37 pm 
Junior Looney

So...here we are. A room dedicated to the greatest Python! Ya can discuss anything Cleesey in here! from Fawlty Towers, to A Fish Called Wanda. It's all fun!!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:51 am 
Senior Looney

Anyone who likes Cleese should read David Thomson's entry on him in the 'Biographical Dictionary of Film' - he gives a brilliant description of Cleese as Basil Fawlty, even describing the character as demonstrating 'the tragedy of Fascism'!?! Hard to beat that.

BTW, this might seem a dumb question, but is 'Fawlty Towers' as popular in America as in Britain? I've seen Cleese say in interviews that people mainly know him in America for Python, although this might have changed.

It'd be interesting to know if anyone prefers 'Fawlty Towers' to Python, and why.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:57 pm 
Junior Looney

Python is very huge in america. Bigger than it is ova here even! i dont think fawlty is as big ova there tho...but im not sure. I once heard cleese say that ove here, ppl always think he is like basil but in otha countries ppl like him betta for python...
Personally-i'm more of a Fawlty fan. I always end up feeling sorry for basil...and the reason it's my fave...is...well...BASIL! lol.
It wud be interesting to hear otha ppls thoughts. And also-wots the best film Cleese has been in? i think Clockwise has to be my number 1.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:40 pm 
Starting Loony

i'm watching will & grace and he's on it right now

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:29 pm 
Junior Looney

yes i watch will and grace (only wen cleesey in it). i have to say...i dont like seeing him in these so called american comedies.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:41 pm 
Senior Looney

It's a bit of a shame Cleese is doing stuff like Will and Grace and James Bond etc - just goes to show that no-one's immune to selling out a little. The nadir though was probably those adverts he did for Tesco supermarkets a few years ago.

I think Fawlty Towers is a creation of genius - but then I'm British, so I have to like it, as it's a national institution here. I think you're right that Python is probably more revered in the US. It'd be interesting to know why - maybe, paradoxically, it's because it's so 'English', almost stereotypically so. It represents something quite alien to American culture, hence its appeal. Just a thought...

I myself prefer Python to Fawlty Towers, though, as Python suits my own temperament - i.e. I'm a loony.

Clockwise is very funny (though I don't think Cleese wrote that, did he?), as is A Fish Called Wanda - although it's slightly too contrived for my taste. Weirdly enough, I think one of his funniest post-Python appearances is his walk-on cameo in Michael Palin and Terry Jones' 'Ripping Yarns' - I won't tell you which episode it's in, because it'll spoil it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:32 pm 
Junior Looney

No Cleesey didnt write Clockwise. One film that he did write which i have to say didn't do much for me, was Fierce Creatures. He has been known for saying that he wishes he had never done that film. I think i have to agree with him there. I brought it on dvd...just for the hell of it really. I hadnt seen it before, so i was quite excited about putting it in the dvd player! but...the excitement was short lived i'm afraid! Although...his mum was actually in that movie for a little appearence. So was his daughter, who was in A Fish Called Wanda also.
What's your fave Python sketch that involves Cleese? I guess a lot of ppl wud say the dead parrot sketch. That is one of mine, but i really like the cheese sketch. Dont know why i like it so much, as it isn't heavily funny...i guess Cleesey just looks a bit cute in it! lol.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:50 am 
Senior Looney

I think my favourite Cleese moment in Python is him playing Hitler in the Minehead Bi-Election sketch. It's not exactly a compliment, but he's born to play Hitler - it's not that he looks like him paticularly, he just has the right degree of mania and anger.

A more obscure favourite is his 'Word Association' monologue on the 'Matching Tie and Handkerchief' Python album - the way he keeps it going is brilliant, shows what a technically gifted performer he is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:59 am 
Junior Looney

Has anybody seen the extras on the Meaning of life special edition dvd? There is a fish tank, and the fish are just randomly swimming around in there, and the pythons are using their voices as voice overs for each fish. So...they each hav a fish, and it's funny, coz Cleesey's fish kps floating off camera! what makes it so funny, is that the fish tank thing is on for about 15mins. just a fish tank.with the fish.the pythons are all making the fish talk random bollocks, but cleese's fish ain't exactly joining in with the conversations, as every 5 mins exactly, it will float on the screen for a split sec and he will say 'alright?' and then float bk off screen again! and that happens every 5 mins. it's really funny!
Has anyone checked out the official cleese website yet? it's crap how he's making us pay to be a member, but ya can have a free tour. ya not aloud t go on much tho...but you can make him do the funny walk in a sequence of your choice. x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:59 pm 
Amazing Looney

I have the Meaning of Life DVD. I love the fish! The fish are hilarious. I also love the Find The Fish scene! [:D]

~*~ My sweat smells like bacon and mouldy cheese on a hot day in July in Saskatoon. ~*~

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:44 pm 
Junior Looney

The meaning of life rocks. although...i was dissapointed in it wen i first watched it, but it grows on me.
My fave sketch from it,wud most prob be the headteachers sex education lesson! i watched thaat wit my mum...it didnt half mk me cringe! Cleesey was born to be a headteacher! lol.
Ok...seeing as this is a cleese forum...out of 10 wot wud u giv him for each of these?
1: cuteness
2: funniness
3: sexiness
4: inspirationness (is that a word!?)

Obv if your a guy, you dont have to answer 1 and 2!

these are my results....

1: cuteness-7/10
2:funniness:10/10
3:sexiness:5/5 (he's quite sexual in a fish called wanda tho)
4:inspirationness:10/10 (he's def changed my way of looking at life)

So...that's how i see cleesey. For now anyway.

I can't wait until his film comes out next year. Can anybody remember what it's called???

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons