Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:39 pm 
Senior Looney

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like look on the bright side of life, and lumber jack, and the round table. and i was just wondering, who the heck do the pythons have enough songs to make cd's?!?!!? and who would buy them? The songs are even more werid without a picture then they are with a picture, but one thing i would like to see, is the pythons make their own rap song and sing it on a music video, but they are all alittle old to do that know....but it would be funny!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The Pythons have DOZENS of songs. Let's see...
Lumberjack Song
Flying Circus Theme
Philosopher's Song
Knights of the Round Table
If I were not in the CID
Theme to Holy Grail
Always look on the Bright Side of Life
The Meaning of Life
The Penis Song
Every Sperm is Sacred
The Brian Song
Sgt. Dukie's Song
Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong
Spam!
The Money Programme

As you can see, the Pythons have more than enough songs to create an album. And the people who BUY their albums are crazy fanatics like us!
Also, <i>NEVER</i> call the Pythons too old for comedy. If you've seen Ella Enchanted (Eric), around the World in Eighty Days (John) Harry Potter (John again) The Brothers Grimm (Directed by Terry G.) or Michael or Terry's TV documentaries, you'll KNOW the Pythons will be funny until the day they die. Look at Graham. He died a mere DAYS after he did 20 Years of Python! Professor Gumby thanks the BBC on behalf of this Python album. Call now and recieve your choice of a dead Indian or another long speech by me!!!

GUMBY SALUTE...

<font size="6">MY BRAIN HURTS!!!</font id="size6">

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:29 pm 
Starting Loony

You are correct esteemed Prof. Gumby, but I sure wish the Pythons would come up with new material, especially for the aforementioned (in my first post elsewhere) T.V. project. Even if they accept new material from a new generation of like minded comics. Perhaps a coupling of the "Young Ones" ( I know, I know, they're getting old as well[:(]) writing team of Rik Mayal and his partner Ben something ( I foget the name at the moment.) and the Python's? Just to mix it up a bit. Perhaps there is a new batch of Brits who would love to team up with and pump up the Python's. A little "Parrot Sketch" goes a long way after 30+ years.[;)]

In terms of music...I simply cannot pick a favorite. I am thankful for the large body of musical work by the great team of Eric Idle and Neil Innes because it allows one to enjoy the Python sensibility while driving in one's car or hanging around with friends who may or may not be fellow Pythoniacs. From The T.V. series to "The Meaning of Life", there must be at least a double C.D.'s worth of brilliant, funny, intelligent material. Thankfully the Pythons were University educated, it shows in even the most frivolous or absurd Python bits and tunes. Does anyone else here include "The Rutles" in their assesment of the musical progeny of the Pythons? I do. What a terrific collection of parody tunes. They take on a life of their own. It used to piss off my cousin, in the late 70's early 80's, who would bristle with anger when I played Rutle's tunes on my old 8-track player. he never understood the term "parody" or "satire" for that matter. He thought the Rutles were a real group ripping off his Gods, the Beatles. What a Gumby![:p] (No offense meant Professor[;)].)

"Do I have to spell it out?...C.H.E.E.S.E. A.N.D. O.N.I.O.N.S., oh no."

B.T.W., If tortured by the Spanish Inquisition (bet nobody ever expected that![:D]), I'd have to say the theme to "The Meaning of Life" is my favorite followed by "Eric the half-a Bee".

"Ho Ho Ho, Tee Hee Hee, that's about all from me"...Peace.

Let me know what y'all may think.[8D]

Run Away!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:29 pm 
Senior Looney

Actually, my new favourite Python song is the first song segment of the 'Background to History' sketch off the Matching Tie and Handkerchief album - it's a reggae song by Neil Innes about mediaeval farming methods, and it's great, even though it's only about 20 seconds! I got the album last week, after having first heard it about 10 years ago, and I can't get it out of my head now.

BTW, I still love seeing the Python members in interviews or presenting documentaries etc - however I'm not sure if I'd like to see them return to Python material, whether old or new. As it is, a lot of the most famous old material has been dulled a bit by overfamiliarity - as Cleese said, we'll never have the pleasure of seeing the parrot sketch for the first time, unlike the show's first viewers. Moreover, seeing beloved sketches performed by 60+ comics would just be like another Rolling Stones tour - it's worth remembering that the Beatles, who definitively split forever and always in 1969/70 (?), retain their hallowed reputation, whereas the Stones (whose 60s/70s material is equal if not superior to The Beatles') are now routinely laughed off as a bunch of randy old geriatrics. That's why I think Palin was right to scupper Idle's idea a few years ago for a Python tour.

Furthermore, while they may still be funny as individuals in interview or on documentaries, it's questionable whether they'd still be capable of writing to the standards of their old shows. They did a few new sketches for a BBC2 'Python night' (on DVD in US as Life of Python) about 5 years ago and, while it was nice to see them together again, the new material was, to put it politely, not among their best. Even the Gilliam animation (done, horror of horrors, with computer graphics, which ruins the whole effect) was weak. It's better that the last image of Python in our minds remains that old TV set, with the Python titles playing on it, drifting into space at the end of The Meaning of Life...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:25 pm 
Starting Loony

lumberjack song, im a lumberjack and im okay....
camalot.....
brave sir robin....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:58 am 
Amazing Looney

I'm a lumberjack and im okaaaaaay!

need i say more?

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 pm 
Amazing Looney

where are all these songs from anyway? I've seen very nearly all of flying circus and the 4 movies..... yet i havnt heard of alot of these songs. Am i missing something?

besides i am surprised nobody has mentioned
"anyTHING goes in...
any THING goes out....
fish, bananas...
old pjyamas...
mutton, beef and trout...."

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 am 
Looney Elite

i think they did a lot of songs (and perhaps some skits as well) exclusively for the albums they did.

a good one for songs is (obviously enough) Monty Python Sings. you should check it out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:21 pm 
Amazing Looney

[quote="Prof. T.F. Gumby"]<Also, <i>NEVER</i> call the Pythons too old for comedy. If you've seen Ella Enchanted (Eric), around the World in Eighty Days (John) Harry Potter (John again) The Brothers Grimm (Directed by Terry G.) or Michael or Terry's TV documentaries, you'll KNOW the Pythons will be funny until the day they die. [quote]

Also you can see alot of the stuff on the special features of the meaning of life dvd (which i got yesterday btw) some of thats really funny.

-- Harpo Marx

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:27 am 
Senior Looney

Location: Physically? Australia. In my head? The Land of All Things Python. Lovely!
Until the day they die! And that's true too cos one of them already is - and he's still funny! RIP Graham - we love ya! :lol: xoxoxo

There's a really funny timeline at the end of the Pythons autobiography. It goes through when they got together and what they did etc, and then there's this at the end of it;

1989 - Graham Chapman died 4 October

2028 - Terry Jones died 12 April

2030 - John Cleese died 14 October

2034 - Michael Palin died 14 February (whilst filming a documentary in the Kalahari desert)

2046 - Terry Gilliam died August - it took the whole month

3039 - Eric Idle died 1 April (he said he'd outlive the rest of those bastards!)

Hehe :lol:

Long live Pythonmania

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:41 am 
Looney Elite

so really one could say that they'll be funny even beyond the day that they die.

fantastic.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:26 am 
Starting Loony

The money song is good.Never be rude to an Arab also.The knights of the round table-very funny.My favorite pthon musical moment -Cardinal Richlieu singing dont sleep in the subway baby. Jack in the box at the end of cycling tour with Gilliam animations is good too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:42 pm 
Amazing Looney

Pythongirl wrote:
Until the day they die! And that's true too cos one of them already is - and he's still funny! RIP Graham - we love ya! :lol: xoxoxo

we sure do :D

-- Harpo Marx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Board index » Monty Python Forums » Television Series