Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons

Post subject: Monty Python "Bio Pic"...What do you think?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:58 pm 
Starting Loony

How's this for a topic...What do you think of a "Monty Python Movie"? I am speaking of a film about the Pythons much like the old T.V. flicks about the forming of the Beatles. The film could either start at the Begining, following Whoever was the more "Dominant" member (Graham Chapman may be a good choice.) as they met each other and formed the group. The film could end with the familiar "clang" of the "Monty Python" liberty March theme and the first "Monty Python" episode rolling as the credits role by? The old Beatle and Elvis "Docu-Dramas" used to be structured that way, ending at the group's/singer's first Big foray into their field ie, The Beatles performing on Ed Sullivan or Elvis in a like manner. OR...the film could go straight thru to the turbulent making of "The Meaning of Life". The credits would include a prologue for each member, a gimmick popular in American flicks. The mention of the passing of Graham Chapman would evoke a bit of Pathos and be a touching ending to what must be an epic story of clashing egos, personal struggles and
brilliant comedy writing. Were the Pythons not as influential in the field of comedy as was The Beatles or Elvis? I say, yes!

I appreciate the Python's relatively large body of work and there is plenty to enjoy, but in my humble opinion, the group was/is as dead as the Beatles were/are after the untimely death of John Lennon. There are so many parallels between the Beatles and the Pythons that I think THAT may make a good thread.

Any thought?...

Run Away!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:19 pm 
Senior Looney

I also think the Beatles/Python comparison is apt - but is Cleese Lennon to Palin's McCartney, or is it the other way round? Then again Chapman is probably the most logical Lennon, given both his untimely death and his sense of anarchism. Also, if Python are the Beatles that would make Spike Milligan Elvis and Peter Cook Dylan...

The key to both groups' success is that their style is based on variety and tension - in Python's case, tension between verbal and visual, intellectual and slapstick, traditional and experimental. In their best shows they're equally capable of a structured, well-made sketch and a random bit of nonsense. I suppose it's comparable to the later Beatles' work, eg The White Album, where McCartney's 'Honey Pie' and Lennon's 'Revolution No. 9' can sit virtually side by side.

That said, the fourth series of Monty Python is more like the comedic equivalent of progressive rock to me - for better or worse...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:09 pm 
Starting Loony

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I think the Palin/McCartney comparison is also apt. Where does that leave Cleese, tho eh[?]. The fourth season of Python could very easily be caompared to progressive rock too. Good points all around. Weird bit of usless trivia alert...Comparing Graham Chapman to Lennon is both apt and creepy as lennon'e killer has Chapman as his surname. Kinda weird. Remember the old Lincoln/Kennedy comparisons relating to their secratarie's names and killer's names and post assasination activities? I bet we could do a list of Graham Chapman/John Lennon parallels.There is also the Idle/Innes, Lennon/McCartney similarities...

Thanks again for responding.[:)]

Run Away!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:05 pm 
Senior Looney

It's interesting how the Lennon/McCartney dynamic often asserts itself in creative groupings - for instance the creators of Seinfeld, Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, have been compared to Lennon and McCartney respectively. In Python, you could even turn it round and say that Cleese was more like McCartney, in that he preferred slightly more conventional, structured material (and also he was the first to want out of the group, like McCartney), whereas Palin/Jones wrote the more stream-of-consciousness, freeform stuff. But this makes everything very confusing...

Innes is very McCartney-like in a lot of his music, even outside his conscious Beatles parodies. In The Bonzo Dog Band he's McCartney to Viv Stanshall's Lennon - although Viv Stanshall can't really be compared to anyone. The irony is that Innes plays Lennon in The Rutles - brilliantly, in fact, in terms of both singing and acting - he has that toothy sneer down pat.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:08 pm 
Senior Looney

BTW, I'd not thought of the Graham/Mark Chapman connection - that is creepy. Also interesting is that Graham Chapman was a great friend of Keith Moon, which makes him about as rock and roll as you can get.

Board index » Monty Python Forums » The Pythons